Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: BEWARE - more burglaries  (Read 7657 times)

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
BEWARE - more burglaries
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
Please be aware that the burglars are still very active in Kalkan. A further 4 properties broken into on Friday night, one of which was my own - not a great start for my holiday!  Whether a home owner or guest, it is worth taking time to review the property you are in to see if you can make it more secure to stop what is now a very real problem in Kalkan.

These were in Ortalan area. I would encourage Forum users to report any further instances on the Forum, not to scare anyone, but to keep this major issue at the forefront of peoples mind.

The only way to combat this problem is to beef up the security of your home and make life difficult for these thieving *******

Finally, it has been mentioned before but CCTV in kalkan and a more proactive approach by the Kalkan authorities wouldn't go amiss. Not the whole solution but an important part in the overall game plan.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10100.0

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: BEWARE - more burglaries
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
That's not happy news :(  I'm really, really sorry to hear of your experience.  I'm three days away from my trip to Kalkan and the break-ins have been preying on my mind as I will be staying alone. I have invested in a motion sensor alarm (and my god is it LOUD! I tested it and probably drove off every shred of wildlife within a 10 mile radius) to park at the top of the stairs when I'm in bed plus a couple of these alarm door wedge hobbies. I've also bought a cunning pseudo paperback book/safe thing which I think I will trust with my small valuables more than the villa's actual safe. The 'paperback' is indistinguishable from a real book when put into a bookshelf so that's where my passport, jewellery & spare cash will live I think. I don't want to get so paranoid that the anticipation of being burgled ruins my holiday though!
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
There is an update on this issue posted on KTLN today (see link below)

http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/247131-more-burglaries-more-focus-on-solutions

One of the disappointing things is the lack of ownership of this issue from the Belediye. If they do not recognise this issue as having a serious impact of tourisim then they are burrying their head in the sand. They are more than happy to promote Kalkan as as high end tourist resort but this story will quickly evaporate if burglaries continue at the current rate.

We all have a part to play and it is disappointing to see the lack of engagement from the Belediye

KTLN is organising a petition for a Kalkan wide CCTV. With the right system and monitoring this will help. I have promoted before setting up collection for owners to contribute to the installation of the system. This would go some way to demonstrate to the Belediye a spirit of collaboration to help solve this major issue facing Kalkan and may be the catalyist to get them engaged.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
The issue of a CCTV system is not in the hands of the local Kalkan Belediye.  It is much higher up the ladder of government and has been stalled mainly over the cost of a good quality system.  We have now been told that contributions will be solicited.

The petition is ready in both English and Turkish, we are now trying to find the best way to collect signatures, preferably signed by hand, supported by an online petition for those who are not around to sign a paper petition.  When we have worked out a feasible way to collect signatures, we will ask everyone to kindly collaborate and sign the request for funds to install in Kalkan a CCTV system.

If there is anyone amongst the viewers here who would like to volunteer to collect some signatures from friends and neighbors, please PM me and I will forward to you a printable copy - either in English, in Turkish, or both.  The more signatures we can collect, the better.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:37:59 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
As the population of Kalkan swells significantly during the summer season why does it not justify a police force?

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Cossetta. Thanks for your helpful contribution. £200,000 seems a staggering amount of money albeit i guess it very much depends on specification and coverage. Re the petition what about placing copies at key locations for people to sign? I am sure restaurants, cafes and supermarkets would offer assistance in this regard? Just a suggestion.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
Someone has to be physically present to ask people to sign and to keep track of the papers themselves.  That is one good reason for asking for volunteers to solicit some signatures.  If only 2 of us collect signatures, we will not get as many.  The more the better.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
I think the figure of £200k is way off the mark....to install a system covering streets etc with support and response I would put at a £1,000,000 then the villa and business owners would have to pay to install CCTV on their properties and be linked up to the town network......I think most people would agree CCTV is a non starter for many reasons....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:50:45 PM by misty »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
There has already been an appraisal and an estimate made but as I am not sure about the amount, we will leave that to the higher-ups.

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
Misty. To shoot the issue of CCTV down before you have seen the proposals is perhaps a bit premature. It doesnt have to be an all signing and dancing scheme to cover all streets in Kalkan. It may be that a system covering strategic roads out of Kalkan may suffice as a starter. Lets try to at least support the initiative rather than shoot it down before it has got of the ground. People are trying to find a solution that will deter crime and those willing to pursue options should be supported even although the idea proves to be too expensive to adopt.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
Not trying to shoot anything down just being realistic...you would have to become fortress Kalkan to prevent burglaries and that is impractical.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
Trouble with a CCTV system is someone has to be monitoring the cameras Most if not all of the time for it to be worthwhile , so the true cost of ownership has to include staff ,this in itself would be more expensive than the system , I.e 24/7 needs at least 3 staff shifts .  Using recorded images for retrospective, I.e post crime  analysis does not stop the crime from happening in the fist place but may be a bit ! of a deterrent more than a solution,

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
I believe that such a system is intended more to view roads and residential areas rather than for use inside shops.  The main objective, IMHO, is to provide a record and to secure a conviction.  Judges have said that thieves who were caught are often not sentenced because there is no proof.  Proof is a camera record, whether taken by a home CCTV system costing 35 pounds or by a professional street system such as many Turkish communities have.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
STOP PRESS
KTLN have reported that 2 more burglars have been arrest tonight.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »
Excellent news
Isis

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
Good news. It does go to show however how many of these bandits are active in kalkan. That makes the figure 12 in the last 2 months - and that's only those caught!

A constant battle unfortnately but we should take encouragement from this latest bit of success!

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »
I suspect the ones caught are just released back into society for lack of evidence. Crime waves of this kind are usually down to only one or two people.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Burglaries

Started by alantj on General Discussion

84 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 09:47:10 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Burglaries

Started by Mags on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 05:06:23 PM
by Mags
xx
Burglaries

Started by anne41 on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 01:58:51 PM
by TalkTalk
xx
BURGLARIES

Started by Stanley on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 08:07:31 PM
by GARDENIA PAT

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal