Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Attacked by dog  (Read 6809 times)

Offline footsie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Attacked by dog
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
Where do I go to report an attack by a dog?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2484.0

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Attacked by dog
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »
Sorry to hear of your attack - I hope nobody was hurt. I would suggest the Jandarma and if they won''t help try the Kalkan Belediyesi. There''ll be those on this forum who''d like to have me lynched for saying it, but you do need to be careful at this time of year. As the summer ''owners'' disappear at the end of the season there are a lot of hungry animals around. No doubt we''ll have a few dumped on us, as usual, and we''ll no doubt take them to the animal sanctuary in Fethiye as usual. I frequently have to chase off packs of dogs at night when they ransack my garden and try to feed on my 5 ''rescued'' cats. The problem will not go away until people are forced to take permanent responsibility for their pets (licences, dog pounds, fines etc.), but it''s not likely to happen here. People should realise that pet ownership entails a duty of care for life, it''s not just a matter of fitting a collar to make a dog look ''owned''.

r2

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
What about KAPSA. This organization should be able to help. Their number is under the KAPSA thread.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »
This is very worrying, especially for me as I am afraid of dogs & I will be going to Kalkan in the winter time, it was only a matter of time before this happened, don''t want to say I told you so but hey I told you so!

I hope that this thread gets some attention.

As this forum is all about promoting the good of Kalkan then action needs to be taken as people won''t return to Kalkan if this continues.

Offline footsie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:03 PM »
The attack actually happened 6 weeks ago as I was waiting for my transfer to the airport as I was returning to the UK. I was doing the usual checks around my villa before going home and a pack of 5 or 6 dogs were in my garden so I thought I''d chase them away in the usual way (clapping hands and shooing them away). It was a ''dalmatian'' that attacked me but luckily I was close to the front door so it only grabbed and ripped the bottom of my skirt. I was very very scared and shaken.

I returned to Kalkan two days ago and I was introduced to this web site today after telling a friend what happened. However looking at some of the threads it appears that animals are poisoned by the local authorities if they are a problem; I do not want to be responsible for such actions but I do not want to be attacked again or stand by and allow this animal to attack others.

What are Kapsa, the Jandarma or the Belediyesi likely to do and who should I visit first?

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »
I''ve seen that dog around alot and am sure its not a stray, think it must one of those dogs that roam around then return to owner at some point, maybe someone knows who it belong to

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15:02 AM »
For me that would be a very scary situation.

I am quite shocked at the lack of response on this thread.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »
I think the lack of response is because the street animal topic has been explored in depth many times before, a search of the forum will bring up many responses  ;)

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »
The saddest lack of response is from the people who hold with dogs roaming the streets, is there not one member of Kapsa out there with any advise for this person. This dog indeed is not a street dog but the others with it could well have been.
If you can find the owner you can report him to the belidiye and have the dog impounded.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »
I know it''s a huge topic that has been covered before but it''s an issue of someone being attacked that must be addressed, for the good of Kalkan.

Some comments from KPSA would be nice to give their suggestions on what people should do if this happens to them & what action will be taken on this dog.

I also think if anyone knows the owner of this dog then perhaps say something to them (if you are friendly enough with this person to be able to do that) maybe they are not aware that their dog is viscous when in a pack?

Offline saskia

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
Hi Footsie,
I''m sorry to hear about your frightening experience. Any such incidents should be reported as soon as possible to the Kalkan Municipality (Belediye) If such an incident were reported to a member of Kapsa we too would take that information to the Mayor as he, unlike Kapsa, has the authority to take action.

I''m sorry if people feel Kapsa has been slow in responding to this posting, but as most of us are working we do not necessarily have the time to look at Enjoy Kalkan.com every day.
www.kapsa.co.uk official website also see Friends of Kapsa on facebook http://www.facebook.com/

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
I have been told that the Dalmation belongs to the owner of the Asfiya hotel on kalamar rd,Its a right nasty piece of work,any trouble with the dogs you can bet its in the middle of it,If any dog in kalkan needs
"seeing to" its this one,but apparently the owner owns half of Kalkan so he can probably do what he wants.

Neil.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
Hopefully if it''s reported to the Belediye then something might be done, If the Mayor knows that incidents like this could have an effect on tourism in Kalkan then maybe he (or his associates) might have a word with Mr Asfiya.

I know it''s only one dog & probably only upsets a small number of tourists but it will have an effect on tourism more & more if the number of dogs keep on increasing, all been said before, I know!!

Perhaps this particular nasty little Dalmatian should have it''s bits chopped of like the rest  >:D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
I love dogs,but I think this Dalmation needs more than its bits off .

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
Ouch! :o

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
Just to add to this, Footise - would be great if you could let us know how you got on with the Belediye, be interesting to know whether they are bothered by it or not!

Offline Random

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »
Lougie you keep on saying how all this bad publicity concerning Kalkan’s street animals could have a very negative effect on tourism in Kalkan and yet much of the scaremongering seems to come from you. If I read your postings having never before been to Kalkan I think I would be under the impression that it was some sort of unruly wilderness inhabited by hundreds of savage dogs salivating at the prospect of fresh tourist meat to sink their teeth into. Which of course it isn''t.
If you care so much about Kalkan maybe you need to consider the adverse impact that  your comments may have on Kalkan and all those people who depend on Kalkan’s tourism for their livelihood??!!!

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
if the people whom depend on tourism for their livelihood kept their dogs under control it would probably cut the problem in half and this is where more should be done ie. educating the locals.
i''ve read lougie''s post too and i think Random you are exaggerating, I dont think Lougie was saying anything of the sort, the posts are nothing but concern and worry, it is a big problem for those who are afraid of dogs and even those who are not,

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
My posts and comments are concern and worry.

This thread has been about helping Footsie report an attack and also to add suggestions to help the situation, i.e. teaching dog owners to keep their dogs in their homes, helping to reduce the problem.

In my posts about this subject I have not personally criticised anyone, only offered suggestions.

It may not be a big concern or worry for some people but it is for me and also for a lot of others, I have a lot of friends in Kalkan who I know very well rely on the tourism but I also know that they don''t want the dogs around either, I love Kalkan and I don''t want to have to stop going on holiday there because of this.

Until now, I thought this thread was quite friendly and just sharing thoughts and suggestions, obviously now it''s getting personal again so this is where my input ends.

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 05:08:35 AM »
I''''m surprised that KAPSA didn''''t know that the dalmation in question belonged to the owner of the ASfiya Hotel, so he is also the Oasis hotel owner and the new Lycia Hotel owner.
It''''s a well known fact
  Perhaps KAPSA can go and talk to this man and tell him that his dog is bothering people.
 Or if they have spoken to the mayor about it already, what are they doing about it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:13:03 AM by kalcamp »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Harbour scene

Views: 2573
By: Pompeyalbie
view of kalkan