Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: any bad points about kalk  (Read 15633 times)

Offline sunlover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
any bad points about kalk
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
have booked up a villa in kalkan for august, have spoken with a few members and looked at this great site all about kalkan, kaljan looks absolutely amazing, has anybody got anything bad to say about kalkan, i have such great expectations i really do not want to be disappointed.  Usually when I think something is going to be really great it is never as good as i expected.  Everybody has such good things to say and i do not want to be disappointed when we get there.  going with hubbby and daughter and her friend both 19 and son who is 15.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=990.0

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: any bad points about kalk
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
Hi Sunlover,

Sorry, from a personal experience I can''t help you with any bad points about Kalkan.  If you have read my members blog you will see that we had the most fabulous time, enjoyed every minute and have booked up again this year.  Like you, having discovered Kalkan and this website I read all the wonderful reviews and thought it all sounded too good to be true - I prepared myself for a fall,  thinking it wasn''t going to be as good as expected.  We had never been to Turkey before and it took me a while to persuade my other half that Kalkan was the place to be.  In reality it was everything I expected and more -  what a relief!

OK, so everyone has different ideas about that perfect holiday, but you have obviously done your research so trust your judgement, I''m sure you will have a great time!

Happy Holidays,
Alison

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:01:09 AM »
Sunlover,

Obviously those of us that have known Kalkan for many a year and have seen the changes can say that we are not happy about several things, mainly perhaps the over building, but the likes of us have who have properties are to blame partly for that.  Can''t be that bad though as we keep going.

For anyone new or reasonably new to Kalkan and have done their homework, should not be disappointed.  We spent our very first holiday in Turkey in Kalkan several years ago and did venture to other locations after that, non compared, we had been spoilt and very lucky to find Kalkan first.  Obviously since then other nice areas have been developed, but we just found we could arrive in Kalkan chill out straight away without being bored and having to try and search a new area, we both have busy working lives and restricted for time off so this was a bonus.

As mentioned numerous times, it is a warm and friendly place and new faces to the town are always made very welcome by the locals who are very proud of their village.  If you get the chance to venture out of the area take it, there are lots of things & locations to see.

If you want to chill, its a perfect place, if you want a late night in a bar you can have it, if you want lots of discos - no way - if you want to be rowdy go ahead but be prepared to be frowned at, other than that it will be what you make it and hope you enjoy and have a great time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:44:52 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:22:13 AM »
DRBD - has said it all - my sentiments entirely!!  Go for it and enjoy it and you will possibly be bitten by the kalkan bug!!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
The only bad points to Kalkan

• You end up having to leave and go home at some point :(
  • You compare other places you visit to Kalkan and often feel disappointed
  • Your bank balance will suffer as you will probably end up buying a property! - something in the water!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »
Dear Sunlover,
I have always been one of those people who thought that people who go back to the same resort year after year must be boring .... that is until I discovered Kalkan. We have visited other countries and resorts in the intervening years but nowhere else compares. As DRBD says it is the perfect place to chill out and relax and you are always made so welcome. However there are a few negative points. One is the fact that too many people have jumped on the property bandwagon so a lot of building has occurred, in fact I would now say that the amount of new villas etc far outstrips demand. The other negative is that the taxi drivers have put their fares up, however this is not a problem for us as our apartment is only a 5 minute walk from the town. I am really racking my brains to think of some bad points but can''t think of anything else! I would like to end with a little story:
About 3 years ago we visited one of my favourite restaurants, sofra. At the time of ordering our meal I made a point of ordering my desert, home made chocolate cake. Some time into our main course the head waiter apologised profusely because the chocolate cake had in fact sold out. He then said I could come back anytime for a complimentary coffee and slice of cake. as it happened I never got round to it, however the following year we visited the same restaurant whereupon the same head waiter recognised me and said "I will put your chocolate cake under lock and key" How''s that for service!
I am sure you will have a lovely holiday, we have repeat bookings from people who return year after year.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:25 AM »
Ive just thought of another bad point now Loretta mentioned the Sofra chocolate cake (which is devine!)

You end up putting on the pounds and need a diet when you come back!!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
Oh yes Jon, I forgot about that! I always put on weight after being in Kalkan, in fact I have pre Kalkan holiday clothes and post kalkan holiday clothes LOL

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »
oh Jon, I think you hit it on the head with your 3rd point, and your first ones not far off either. ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »
Hi Sunlover,
you can have lashings of Sofra''s chocolate cake...if you avoid the taxis  ;) My better half and I enjoyed our first trip to Kalkan last year.....and despite the fact we''ve NEVER been back to the same place twice we came home and booked up within a month for a return trip this year. You will love Kalkan, I''m sure of that...we absolutely fell in love with the place, the people, the beach clubs, the restaurants....and the hills. The first holiday I''ve been on where I actually lost weight, despite eating out every day and night and supping my fair share of cocktails, G&T''s etc...fantastic ;D.
The only thing wrong with Kalkan is I can''t live there :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Cruisecontroller

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Hi Sunlover,
               In all the years that we''ve been holidaying abroad, Kalkan is the only place where we''ve stayed at the same Hotel twice, really scary !!  The only downside to Kalkan, so to speak, is the hill, especially Cardiac Hill.  On our last visit, back in September, we were looking at property with a view to buying and the hill was our only concern.  As other members have stated, the local people are simply the best, so warm and welcoming.  You will enjoy your holiday and the members on here will look forward to your report when you get back.

Les

Offline sunlover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
thanks so much to everybody for all the replies, am getting more and more excited about going to Kalkan, like many of you I love going to different places and exploring new things, it is a big world out there, so I am so pleased I have persuaded my husband to go to Kalkan and have a change from Spain, Cyprus, Portugal USA etc.  My husband usually leaves the holiday arrangements to me anyway, so it didn''t take too much to persuade him, and I keep showing him all the things on this Forum and he even said it''s more than likely that we will go to kalkan more than once if the  reports are anything to go by.
i know taxi prices have been mentioned so we will probably hire a car and just get taxis at night.
Last year we went to Spain and i do not how we did it but we came back with some Euros that I was going to use this year, but now we are going to Turkey not sure if we can use them, do they accept Euro Travelles Cheques or is it best to change them to Lira.
So pleased I have found this site as you can be a bit prepared before travelling to Country for first time.
Many thanks to everybody who took the time to reply.
Sunlover

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 12:47:34 PM »
They take pound sterling euro and turkish lira, it is easy to use sterling and get your change in Lira, in the market they sell lots of thyings say 3 t shirts for a £10 or however many euro, restraunts will except anything, it is easier with the Lira for Taxi and shopping for food.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »
there were several discussions on this last year...we find whats best for us is a "nationwide flex account" we pay money into this account throughout the year,just like a normal account, but when in kalkan we draw turkish lira out at no extra cost..yes it''s a free  service!!There are plenty of cashpoints in Kalkan so it''s no problem,it saves changing travellers cheques and carrying large amounts around...just  some currency till you find your feet!!(P.S.i have no connection with the nationwide other than this account)  ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
Sunlover..you won''t be disappointed at all, welcome to Kalkan!

My family used to have a place in Portugal, in fact my brother lives there now, but I have to say Kalkan beats the socks off the Algarve. I''ve travelled to most parts of the world and was finally thinking of buying somewhere in France, but once I arrived in Kalkan, there was just no turning back. I was hooked!

You didn''t say whereabouts you''re renting - you may find that it''s not necessary to hire taxis if you are on the flat - yes there are some parts, along the Kalamar Road for instance, that don''t involve hills! Or you may be only 10 mins walk or so perhaps going up the hill towards the petrol station. If you are, it''s not a bad stroll back to walk off that wonderful dinner you will have enjoyed.

Relax and enjoy you are in for a wonderful holiday  :D

Offline ginger1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 02:48:47 PM »
Hi Sunlover and Kalkanites

Please do not take this the wrong way, Kalkan is wonderful.  We were there last year in June and returned in October and purchased a villa.  We have been going to Turkey for the last 20 years and love it.

However, over the last ten years the rise in prices in the restaurants has been incredible.  The food is good but not 5 star.  We have just returned from  Koh Samui where we spent Christmas and New Year now,  that is five star food.  Whether it be Thai, French or what ever.

Kalkan has so many restaurant now there are not enough customers to fill their seats.  What do the restaurants owners do they do they increase their prices and believe me the prices  are now on a par with the U.K  The service is excellent and you are remembered year after year.  However  I  feel the restaurants should review their pricing and packaging.

Let''s look at Coast and Gironda you are sitting so close to the next table you can almost hear the customers  hearts beating.  The Korsch ( please ex use my spelling ), the prices are ridiculous. I talked to a restaurant owner last year she was thinking about going along the take away and delivery route, ( some restaurants are already doing this), as more and more people are renting villas and not going out every night.

I would love to go out every night, we used to when the food was reasonably priced.  Surely I am not the only one who thinks this way.

People are painting a Utopia.  Kalkan is lovely but, please get real!

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
Well ginger1, I think you have a point there.

I''ve not been going as long as you have, but I have seen the prices going up and yes there are a lot of restaurants that can''t all be sustained by the tourist market. In fact,when I was there over Christmas period I saw one or two restaurants that are up for sale.

Talking of Gironda, they are having a major overhaul and redoing the downstairs courtyard.  I believe also, the menu is going to be overhauled and hopefully the prices reviewed downwards into the bargain.

Takeaways, if kept to local dishes like Lamacun for instance are no bad thing. Just lets keep the burger and chips away!

Offline ginger1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
Thank you Rosie

We love Kalkan, however something does need to be done about the restaurants. There are to many  of them. They  are not working at full capacity which is sad

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
there are still plenty of restaurants that cater for every pocket..the rooftops in town by and large are more expensive.The top end of the village offers some reasonable prices the Kaya,Alternatiff(roof terrace),Breeze..all readilly spring to mind as being good food and value ;)

Offline ginger1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
how do you price expensive

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cash points

Started by Lynne T on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2019, 01:06:39 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Kalkan Alternatives - Split from anything bad about Kalk

Started by Kim on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM
by ginger1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan 1999

Views: 4511
By: Cosetta
Handbag cat