Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: any bad points about kalk  (Read 15646 times)

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: any bad points about kalk
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
I think it depends on where you live in the UK.

Offline Cruisecontroller

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
We first came to Kalkan in 2006 and found the cost of eating out to be cheaper than say Kusadasi and Icmeler.  On top of this a meal is only as expensive as the establishment you use and how much food and drink you have.  We always go on a budget, we have a soft drink and a main course, if more hungry then we will either have a starter or a sweet and end up paying 25 - 40 Ytl.  Another avenue we went down was to have a set meal, which works out quite cheap, also, because we are possibly looking to buy property in Turkey we are also using the restaurants that the local people use which are cheaper still.

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 11:01:19 PM »
To be fair I think business owners will try to charge as much as they think the tourist market can stand. If prices become too high visitors will not use their establishment.  There are certainly a few places that we think twice before going into as they do not offer the same value as others in the town or for some things further afield

With the prospect of the Lira / Sterling exchange rate hitting an all time low this year, even if prices at restaurants stay at last seasons level in real terms they will be 20-25% higher for UK visitors.

How many of use will be taking 25% more spending money out when we visit - not many.

I do not know if many business owners think along these lines but I would doubt if many take this into consideration. I hope I am proved wrong.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 12:23:54 AM »
For the last 6 years all of our holidays have been in Kalkan. Back then Turkey was much cheaper than the rest of Europe and I assumed that this was still the case however last year friends we invited over said they were suprised at just how dear Kalkan was.

This caused me to enquire further and the general feeling was that Turkey was now much dearer than other parts of Europe. I then said but what about the great food in Kalkan and was suprised to hear that the general feeling was that Turkish restaurants in London were just as good or better than in Kalkan and in some cases cheaper.   

We have offered the use of our villa to friends again this year and found that even with the offer of free accommodation, the cost of the flights plus transfers and the perception that Kalkan is expensive has made them less than keen about taking up the offer. 

For this year, I really hope that the restaurants, bars etc realise that with the Lira appreciating against the Pound  they need to drop or at least hold their prices (after all they were quick enough to raise prices in other years when the Lira depreciated against the Pound).

Regards

Alan

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 06:59:27 AM »
ginger1 -

Yes you do have a good point re the prices being so high, infact we recently stated on this forum that its as expensive to eat in Kalkan as it is back in the UK, and OK there are the good and cheap places just as back here but never the less it is not a cheap option to eat out in Kalkan anymore.

Talking to the locals over Christmas, the rents are increasing far too much hence the closing of the Sevill supermarket  on the roundabout, now they have been there for many a year, the Turkish version of Tesco have moved in or were moving in when we were there, Adems leaving the town and moving to his home and building there to have his restaurant and the many that have just given up and closed.  Over the years we have seen large establishments shrink to smaller ones and then eventually just disappear.

Even if you self cater, its still expensive.

Alantj''''''''''''''''s comment about their friends less than excited reaction to free accommodation is a sobering thought indeed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:40:59 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:32 AM »
What exactly needs to be "done" about the number restaurants?  I agree there may be more supply than demand but that will dictate which ones survive and which ones do not.  I cannot see that anyone can do anything about it - what would you suggest, that some are told to close because there are too many?  The restaurants are not one of Kalkan''''s "bad" points - they are one of the many positives.  Coast, which is one of the more popular restuarants, only opened in 2005 - should they have been told "sorry you can''t open because we''ve too may restaurants already?"  If those charging higher prices thrive or are more popular than some others then surely that''''s because they are providing value for money and/or a dining experience that means you are happy to pay their prices?  There are still plenty of cheaper eating options if you want to try them.

A theme throughout many threads on this forum is the rising cost of many of the services that form part of the holiday experience.  This is not unique to Kalkan - prices go up all the time and we (generally) accept that.  I see that the current exchange rate is between 2.20 - 2.30 YTL to the £ - so everything will be more expensive relative to last year if this rate remains.  So I hope we do not suffer a plethora of posts throughout the year moaning about how much more expensive Kalkan is.  If it''''s too expensive try somewhere else cheaper.  The reason I return to Kalkan each year is to meet the many friends I have made there over the years - that to me is priceless.

My only negative about Kalkan is the constant building of villas and apartments for a market that just isn''''t there.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:13:46 AM by kalkanfan »

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 08:26:48 AM »
Without wishing to be too controversial, perhaps the higher pricing is a good thing in disguise. Turkey is sometimes perceived to be a cheap package holiday destination, which is often reflected by the clientele you see at the airports. I would say many of these people are going for cheap alcohol etc as opposed the stunning scenery Turkey has to offer - I would say it is one of the most beautiful countries we have visited.

Perhaps with an overall increase in prices Turkey will see its tourism demographics change somewhat. Now before everyone see''s this post as a hand grenade thrown in, I am talking in general across all resorts not Kalkan! I base what I say given the struggles of other countries trying to realign their tourism demographics, specifically Ibiza, Prague, certain areas of the Spanish Costas.

Furthermore the costs of flights has traditionally been high, however with Onur Air and other low fare carriers now offering more attractive pricing perhaps things are going to change.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »
Personally would not be so impertenant or pompous to suggest that these restaurants are refused permission to trade, just stating things as we find and experience.  And like you Kalkanfan, we and others do and will continue to  go to Kalkan regardless, as we have done so for many a year.  Remember when Kalkan was called "Turkeys best kept secret", and really people were not then aware of it or where it was.

Jon, oh how right you are, it is a beautiful country and has lots to offer, and never more so than at this time of year.

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »
Jon
I think it would be a shame if the stunning scenery, friendly people and delicious food that Turkey offers becomes out of reach for the less well off.
I agree that at the airports you do see many people who have probably not ventured any further than the pool bar, other than to get a full English but it is not the majority.
From my many visits to many areas of Turkey, the majority of people I have met from around the globe enjoyed Turkey for what it is.
Will we soon be seeing signs saying "Welcome to Kalkan ( Riff Raff not allowed)"  :)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »
I agree Bluefudge - I was certainly not implying wealth should be a deciding factor in what people can see and experience. As you picked up however, some people, regardless of financial background wish everywhere to be "little britain" which would be a real shame.

Offline Jonesy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
The quality of the food is very high in Kalkan but yes, it is very pricey.  You should however take into account the cost of rent which has rocketed over the last few years and food prices have increased.  We stayed in a villa and bought beef from the butcher.  It was not that much less than in the UK, so I would imagine that is why restaurant prices are creeping up.

The average cost of a 2 course meal with wine will cost you from £10 - £25.00 per person. 

What would you pay in the South of France for a similar standard restaurant?  Triple, I guess?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »
to be honest we don''t eat out every night,it''s not because of prices ,but why stay in someones lovely villa with all the amenities and not use them?  sometimes if we have eaten a snack during the day we cant do justice to a meal out !! other times we just don''t fancy going out and have a meal in with a couple of bottles of wine, watching the sunset and a late dip in the pool.We go on hols to do as we please when we please and i like nothing better than trying ottoman dishes etc..i  also on occasion  get a pang for a big plate of chips with ketchup!! if you se me eating a plate of chips please don''t poke me with sticks!! :D :D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
It is essential for the Turkish economy that the number of visitors to the country increases year on year - tourism is a key sector of the economy and draws in large amounts of foreign currency.  It is therefore essential that it appeals to the mass market (with all that it entails).

A strong Lira coupled with year on year price increases by businesses will damage trade but the effect will only be seen further down the line - as former visitors opt for other locations which they perceive to be better value for money. Kalkan may experience it sooner as it purports to operate at the higher end of the market.

I don''t think you can accurately compare Kalkan with some other areas - the South of France or very upmarket parts of Spain - they are too dissimilar.  If anyone in Kalkan believes they can offer what these places have on a like for like basis then they need to wake up.

Kalkan has a unique atmosphere and attraction - that why we return each year. It has its fair share of upmarket establishments. However it is not pristine or pretentious. Lets hope it doesn''t try to become so.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
bankieken your last paragraph sums up Kalkan completely for me.  Long may it stay like this.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »
we are fairly new to Kalkan, so haven''t experienced the same price hike as other forum members who have been visiting for years. We''ve travelled quite extensively and yes, Kalkan is far cheaper than lots of places we''ve visited in Europe, but more expensive than say, the Red Sea, Thailand and other "newer" tourist areas. I think you need to compare "like for like" and we believe Kalkan is similar to some of the more upmarket areas in the Balearics - gorgeous views, excellent restaurants and bars, good standard accomodation and relatively unspoilt. However the similarity ends there. To rent a villa with uninterrupted sea views would cost double. if not treble what we are paying in Kalkan (plus I think the view in Kalkan is much better than many of the villas and apartments we''ve stayed in). The choice of bars and restaurants is far greater than in these places - so you are in a position to set your own budget. In Kalkan you can eat good food at great prices, or you can pay more for an adventurous menu and classier surroundings.
The beauty is YOU have a choice  :o
Or like Blue Lizard, you can have your own sundowner on your own balcony and admire the stunning view you''ve bought for a couple of weeks - when the mood takes you 8)
I think Kalkan compares favourably to its competitors on price and beats them all hands down for the customer experience. We have to remember, Turkey is catching up to the rest of Europe and those of you that had it so cheap for so long should thank your lucky stars, not bemoan the prices now  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
I completely agree with everything you have said kalkan4eva and if the Euro retains it strength against the the pound, then going anywhere in Europe this year will be more expensive.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »
we found turkey 24 years ago,Kalkan 21 years ago,we were staying in Patara ,believe it or not it was a thriving little community..however for a change one evening we got a taxi to Kalkan.....that was it!! we fell for the beauty of the place, the warmth of the locals and the general laid back feel of the place.Yes it''s got bigger,prices have risen but thats progress,this happens everywhere especially when you have so much natural beauty surrounding a place.Walking down the street is a pleasure,people stop and chat (a turk won''t forget your name!) more people speak to us than they do in our own town.After a couple of days we are truly relaxed and like rubber people!! However this year is likely to be my last for a while..after we return we are having an addition to our family..yes a new dog!!my other half may continue to go but i shall be dog sitting.Our old dog passed on a couple of years ago and we are ready for another.my mother used to have him while we holidayed, however it won''t be fair to land her with a pup!! still iv''e had a good run! this year will be special(even more so) i wonder what kalkan will be like in say 3/4 years time ;)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »
blue lizard somehow I can''t see you staying away from Kalkan for 3/4 years!  Find a good kennel and get him/her used to it when they''re young.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 05:53:31 PM »
yes it will be hard..we usually go out at least twice a year..i won''t kennel a dog, when i take one on i get fully devoted,it''s bad enough putting our moggie in the cattery!! i will explore other avenues..maybe neice comes to stay at my house....mmmm what about party''s? ::)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
lol just make sure you have all singing all dancing house insurance which covers every eventuality :laugh: that''s what I did two years ago when I left my son home alone for the first time ever. Have to say he was 18 so it was legal but did worry about parties etc. Left him a few times now and absolutely no problems so far  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cash points

Started by Lynne T on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2019, 01:06:39 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Kalkan Alternatives - Split from anything bad about Kalk

Started by Kim on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM
by ginger1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal