Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Any Advice Appreciated  (Read 3368 times)

Offline PhilC

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Any Advice Appreciated
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
Hi

I am going to Kalkan for the first time next Tuesday (also to Turkey for the first time) and had a couple of questions that I would be grateful if anyone could respond to please.

I must add that having looked at this site and others on Kalkan, it really does come across as a special place and I am really looking forward to my stay.

There are a few, so I do not expect answers in full, just any advice in part would be appreciated.

1).  I like the look of Patara Beach and am interested in the Patara Historical site also and wondered whether they were in walking distance of one and other.

2).  I am not intending to rent a vehicle during my stay, as we are only staying a week, and wondered whether the above can be reached by either bus or Dolmus or would I have to book an excursion.

3). I fancied a Turkish bath and upon reading other posts though that the Asfiya hotel would be a good choice.  However, I wondered whether the staff are all male or whether female staff operated at the Turkish baths, as I feel that my partner Wend would prefer a female with regard to the massage.  I understand that you have to book and assume that my hotel can do this upon my behalf when I get there or can I book over on line at all on the Asfiya hotel web site?

4). Haggling! I am no good at this and am a little apprehensive to say the least.  Any advise on the subject would be appreciated.  I also hear that haggling is required at restaurants when ordering fish?  Again, if anyone has any advises then that would be gratefully received.

I must say that from what I have read, everyone is doing a good job in promoting Kalkan and making it easier for visitors to enjoy what Kalkan has to offer.  I have certainly obtained a wealth of information that will come in useful during my stay.

Many thanks,

Phil.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1886.0

Offline Del

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Any Advice Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
Hi PhilC, I''ll offer advice on your points in the order in which they were raised:-

1. They are just about within walking distance but I would advise either a day on the beach or a day exploring the ruins, especially if going in July or August. Crocs required on the beach, you will not, repeat not, be able to walk on the sand barefoot.

2. You can catch a minibus opposite the taxi rank in Kalkan. These leave on the hour from 10am. Cost is 8YTL ea return to Patara but entrance to Patara is a further 2YTL ea.

3. Can''t advise on the specific facilities of each Hamman in Kalkan. I would not book anything till you arrive and would check out each location then [several to choose from].

4. I''m no good at haggling either unlike Mrs Del who is world class. The only advice I would give is if you''re not 100% convinced about buying then don''t get lured in, especially on the market. With regards to fish restaurants we have never haggled. We check the price prior to sitting down & we either accept or we don''t. Please remember that Kalkan is certainly not like Istanbul where haggling over everything is not only endemic but seems to be a way of life.

Hope the above is of some assistance.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »
you must haggle at the market, half the price then meet somewhere, if things are 3 for £10 try to get at least 4. I wouldnt haggle in shops or places to eat.

Offline PhilC

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
Many thanks for your answers.

Just to clarify if I can, haggling is only done in the market and not in shops and in restaurants?  Just finally, as it looks as though Patara''s ancient site needs a day specifically would anyone advise sticking there or visiting another site i.e. Xanthos instead.  Sorry for all the questions- last ones.

Many thanks,

Phil. 

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
You keep asking questions that is the whole idea, hope we can offer support. You may get to barter in the jewery shops.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »
Hi Phil - as Holidayfever says - no problem!!  Yes - in general - only haggle in the market - restaurants definitely no haggling - but possible to barter a little in the jewellery shops - or if you are buying lots of things or lots of the same thing - then I sometimes ask for the total cost to be rounded down a bit..but I don''t push the point if they don''t go for it...

Re: Patara - I would combine Patara beach and sites in 1 day - we did just recently - we didn''t want to sit on the beach all day and the ruins whilst impressive are not a full days worth - and as they are sooooo close to each other - best to combine them.  You can go to Xanthos as another day - but again it is not a full day trip - the sites don''t take long unless you are examining each stone in detail..!!

Another good full day trip combining activity with archaeological sites is Saklikent Gorge with Tlos - that is a very worthwhile trip.

Lastly - we like the Atlantis hammam behind the Yali supermarket - but they are all pretty much of a muchness - chances are you will get a male as it has been a traditional male activity - but it really isnt a problem - you are just another slab of meat....  However - there is a female at Atlantis - so I guess if your OH is really not happy about a man - you could ask if she could definitely do ''it'' for you..!!

Cheers and hope that helps!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
Hi Phil,
I don''t haggle, my BH is the haggler. As the others have said it''s a no-no in restaurants, but certainly he''s haggled in shops in both Kalkan and Fethiye (if you manage to get there during your stay) - not in a rude way, or asking for something at a ridiculously cheap price - but more a "would you accept x for this?". I have to say we''ve always managed to get a reduction on the original asking price - particularly as Felicity says if you''re buying more than one thing.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »
I am not sure where this idea of haggling only in the market originated as most prices in Turkey should be "discussed" with the seller - they certainly expect it from Turks !!
Shops want to sell you goods and it is unusual if they will not move on price - but only if you ask politely - "is there a discount - how much is it" - "if I buy more than one will they be cheaper" - if you don''t ask you will never get !!
This price discussion usually takes the form of a discussion about various matters such as the quality of the goods, where you live , do you have children etc etc and the price of the goods in question keeps popping up and your original offer goes up a little and the sellers usually comes down a little until a deal is struck - but never never ever get to a price that you asked for and then not do the deal - this is considered very rude
You can also barter in restaurants about the cost of wine for example or will you get any free starters or a desert - but do it before you enter - not after you have ordered
But if you treat it in the right way the Turks really enjoy it - as remember they see you as a customer and they really do not want to lose you or your potential business
p.s this advice doesn''t work in Migros sadly  :-[

Offline PhilC

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:22:40 AM »
Thanks for all your advice guys you''ve answered all my questions thanks.

I''ll probably look to combine Patara ancient site with the beach, as I was looking to do in the first instance, because we only have a week this time.

No problems with the Turkish baths, she would prefer a female but its definitely not the end of the world.

Will stick to market with the haggling then, as stated, wasn''t looking forward to it anyway.

Looking forward to the holiday though.

Thanks again

Phil.

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
I''ve been to Atlantis turkish baths several times but have never seen any female attendants there.  The boys are nice though!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Advice please

Started by Trena59 on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 01:56:37 PM
by Trena59
xx
Any advice?

Started by donmac on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 08:36:47 PM
by donmac
xx
Advice

Started by mikem on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 09:24:28 AM
by kevincat99
xx
Flights Advice, please!

Started by hazyjo on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 10:30:32 PM
by KalkanPosh

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal