Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Animal Welfare - new organisation  (Read 7069 times)

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Animal Welfare - new organisation
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:03:48 AM »
Kalkan Association for the Protection of Street Animals - KAPSA

We have now set up an official organisation to improve the well-being of Kalkan’s street animals. Our aim is to reduce the number of sick and starving animals by increasing our winter feeding program and seeking veterinary help when needed. Equally, we wish to prevent the birth of unwanted animals by neutering.

Although all of these things have been carried out in Kalkan for many years by small groups of people, we are hoping that by becoming an official body, we will be able to generate more interest and raise more funds, consolidate our efforts and therefore work more effectively.

We need people who would be able to contribute to the organisation – no matter how much or how little.

If you might be interested in learning more about the organisation and how you/your friends could help, please join us on:

Tuesday 22 April at 2 pm
Venue - New wedding salon in the new bus station, Kalkan

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1402.0

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Animal Welfare - new organisation
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:11:14 AM »
Sorry cant be there but may I wish you all every success for the future, hope you go from strength to strength, and THANK YOU for all the work you are doing for these wonderful animals. :angel:

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:25:33 AM »
Thanks for your post. Will add more information after the meeting today. We are hoping for lots of support and whatever help we can get.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:47:39 AM »
Out on the 22nd May, will be happy to donate to this worthwhile cause. PM me your contact details and I will contact you when I am out next month.
Brooksie
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »
Thanks so much... have sent you an email with details.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
Great news you''re now official!  Look forward to your posting following today''s meeting.

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »
Well done! I''ll bring lots of CD''s out with me for you to sell. Let me know if there is anything I can do in the meantime.

Wendy
x

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:34 AM »
The newly formed KAPSA – Kalkan Association for the Protection of Street Animals had an informal meeting on Tuesday 22 April to give information about the association and also to try to recruit new members to it. We would like to thank the Kalkan Belediye (council) for showing their support by providing the premises (It was held at the Belediye Düğün Salonu beneath the Bus station)

We genuinely believe that by becoming an official body, more interest can be generated for the work carried out with the street animals, therefore more funds can be raised, awareness will be increased and our work will be more effective.

The aims of the association are:

Neuter and return: keep the number of street animals at a manageable level by preventing unwanted births through neutering.

Welfare: reduce the number of sick and starving animals by increasing the winter feeding program and seeking veterinary help when needed.

Promote better understanding and awareness between people and animals: neutered well-fed animals are far more likely to be friendly and well-behaved than starving, ill-treated ones. The condition of local animals is a reflection on the local people of any area so it is fair to say that healthy, well-cared for street animals are a very good advertisement for Kalkan and its inhabitants, and so will be good for tourism too.

To abide by and also raise awareness of the stringent Animal rights law no 5199 passed in Turkey in 2004. (Anyone wishing to learn more about this law can read it in its entirety in Turkish or English on www.haytap.com )

Up until now we have relied on donations from tourists and local animal lovers to finance the work we have done with the cats and dogs. But now we hope that by becoming an official association we will be able to get help, both financial and practical from other organizations inside and outside of Turkey as well. That is not to say that we no longer need donations from individuals as this will probably continue to be the mainstay of our income. However, becoming an official organization will allow us to be more pro-active in our own fund raising efforts and hopefully encourage more people to help our cause.

The association has now been officially registered and is awaiting approval of its mission statement which we expect to be given by the end of this month. Until such time that this approval is given we are operating with a temporary management committee according to Turkish law. As soon as we have full approval we plan to have a general assembly meeting where all members have the right to vote for the management committee and the auditing committee. So we would like everyone to consider whether they would like to join us and become a member and therefore have a real say in the future of the animals of Kalkan.

Lots of good ideas came from the meeting as to how to increase awareness of the association and what could be done re fund-raising etc. We also received some constructive criticism mainly concerning the limited advertising of the meeting. We have taken note of all comments and hope to benefit from them.

If anyone has any ideas we would love to hear them. Also, we are in the process of designing a logo for the organisation so again, would welcome any help/suggestions.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:55:17 AM »
Im more than happy for EnjoyKalkan to donate a website / email etc if you wish

I have made www.kalkanawa.com available - please do contact me if you would like me to create something :)

Jon

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
Hi Jon, thanks so much for that. Have let the some of the others involved know about it, so hope it will be ok if we come back to you on it? I know that someone else was going to do something, but we will check and let you know.

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
Just to ensure that there is no misunderstanding about the formation of KAPSA. It is the formalization of the association that is new to Kalkan, and not the work carried out. For years, many people living in Kalkan and some regular visitors have done wonderful work to help the street animals, including neutering, vaccinating and feeding them.

The concept of KAPSA is nothing new, but this is the first time that we have made it an officially recognised association.

Offline lj flossy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
Well done for the set up of KAPSA it should help to promote as you say the work that has been carried out for years.  Ä°t will enable people to donate freely and therefore further help our animals.
The more neutering that can be done will also help the few noisy dogs that can sometimes be a nuisance and hopefully create awareness for owned dogs to be looked after better.  Ä°t can only be good for tourism.  Ä° look forward to seeing peoples ideas on this forum-keep them coming.
Ä° wonder would locals/tourists support-car boot sales,bring and buy fairs,a dinner dance-to raise funds.
Every person that mentıons KAPSA will create interest and hopefully increase donatıons.
Good luck and hope Ä° can be of help.

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
Thanks... always great to have the support and spread the word.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 12:20:37 PM »
Good to hear that this seems to be getting up and running. Please let us know how we visitors can help, other than the usual putting donations in tins, buying postcards, notebooks, picture cd''s, bringing over worming tablets and flea stuff etc etc (will still do this but would be happy to help in other ways if possible)

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »
Thanks for that.... Spreading the word is always a great help... Will let you know of anything we can think of that would help, or welcome any ideas that you think might help

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 07:47:23 AM »
Among the suggestions of items that could be of use as donations are: vitamins, worming tablets and parasite tablets or drops, antibiotics, eye/ear drops, wound powder, collars, leads, muzzles, cat boxes, cat food, dog food.

Also, at the moment there are puppies that will need homes in the next few weeks, and we also have a cat whose owner has returned to the UK who is desperate for a good home. If anyone knows of anyone, please let us know.

Offline jackien

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
Have seen your posting re your animal welfare new organisation - well done and keep up the good work.

We will be arriving in Kalkan on 2nd June and are very happy to bring some bits and pieces with us, such as worming tablets etc. Is there anything you particularly need and where do we take it when we get there?!

Really looking forward to our first visit to Kalkan (which by the sound of it won''t be our last!)

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »
Thanks so much... Anything you can bring will be wonderful. Will double check the best place for you to bring them to and let you know.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »
We will also be arriving beginning of June and more than happy to try and bring some bit and pieces. We would also like to put some sort of collection box in our apartment, so hopefully our guests will contribute - Do you have any offical boxes ready and if so where can we get them from.

Offline Jik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Emerald Apartment - Kalkan
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 01:19:31 PM »
How do we contact Kapsa if we see a sick animal? How do we donate money?
What is the procedure?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Proud Daddy

Views: 619
By: jinfizzz
Harbour Feb 2008