Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice on visiting Kalkan  (Read 4016 times)

Offline HappyHolidayer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Advice on visiting Kalkan
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
I am due to visit Kalkan for my honeymoon at the beginning of October. Any advice would be appreciated on the weather,where to go, bars, restaurants etc etc
Our Villa is about a 15 min walk uphill from Kalkan town centre so we will probably use taxis quite a lot
I am also very worried about recent reports of burglaries, is this still an on going problem?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10053.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: Advice on visiting Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
we have been coming to Kalkan for umpteen years. Its one of the nicest gentlest places we've ever been to and we've travelled round the world. We always come back to Kalkan. It's like everywhere just apply your sensible heads regarding securing your Villa. We have never ever felt threatened. Enjoy this wonderful time of your life.

Offline dai16

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
As far as security is concerned just take reasonable precautions. we have visited Kalkan four times over the last five years and it is one of the best, most friendly resorts we know. We can recommend Patara beach, about 20 mins by dolmus. Kalkan beach club (across the bay by boat), The town of Kas, for a change of surroundings and a great journey again by dolmus along a stunning coastline all for a few Lire. We like the cafe/ bar in the middle of the village (can't remember its name but it is a bit of an institution). The moonlight restaurant is good for a great view of Kalkan by night. Saklikent Gorge, is beatiful and very different. If you are into history try Xanthos or Patara. The weather will be good, have a great time!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Happy holidayer......I'm sure you will have an amazing time in Kalkan. October is a lovely time to visit....we were there between the 10 and 18 October last year and loved the atmosphere at that time of year.
If you use the search button on here you will find lots of information about bars, restaurants and trips and if there is a specific question just ask and someone will be along straight away to answer!

Offline HappyHolidayer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, I am really looking forward to my visit and even more so now after reading this forum and seeing the number of people that return year after year.
Thank you

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »
Hello HappyHolidayer, welcome to the forum.
As Babs says, use the search facility to get information about bars and restaurants etc.
The weather is usually lovely in early October, but you can get the odd shower so I pack one of those fold-up plastic poncho things and keep it in my bag for such occasions. It goes dark earlier so if you want to have a sunset meal on one of the rooftop restaurants you need to be there by 7pm. The sea is a lovely temperature this time of year and Kalkan has nice relaxed, winding down kind of atmosphere as it heads towards the end of the season at the end of the month. I feel pretty sure you will have a great honeymoon :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline PennyM

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
Kalkan is truly a small piece of heaven and after visiting it for the first time seven years ago returned every year and after only the second trip ended up buying a Villa there!  Also up the hill!  For taxi's I invariably use just one (and his family) which works really well for me and any of the people who use my Villa.  We telephone Ali and he picks us up from wherever we happen to be - he keeps a check on the amount and we pay him at the end of the trip.  If you want to do that just  let me know and i will give you his number.  He, and all his family, are lovely and totally trustworthy.
You will find it difficult to get a bad meal anywhere as they are all so good but my favourites are Kalamaki, Trio, Aubergine and Salt and Pepper. 
If you want any advice or help on anything at all go visit Gonca at Kalkan Exclusive Properties in the middle of town - she manages my Villa and is just lovely.  She is married to Yardan who owns the most wonderful jewellery shop at the beginning of town and they will always do anything possible to help whatever the situation. If you call in and just say that Penny recommended you get in touch either she or Yardan will bend over backwards to look after you.
The weather will be beautiful and you cannot fail to have a truly special time. Enjoy - and I wish you much happiness.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:06:40 PM by PennyM »

Offline HappyHolidayer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
Thank you Penny M, I have stored both numbers in my phone and am very excited to visit Kalkan for myself

Offline PennyM

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
I am glad you have stored the numbers as I have had some very wise advice that it maynot be wise to give all and sundry their phone numbers as sometimes everyone is not as nice!  Anyway - you have them now which is really good.
Have fun.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Visiting Kalkan September

Started by keith on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 07:59:51 PM
by keith
recycled
Visiting Kalkan for the first time

Started by Nila on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 08:43:05 PM
by felicity
recycled
Visiting Kalkan next week for first time

Started by KanKan on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 12:30:29 PM
by KanKan
xx
Newbie thinking of visiting Kalkan concerned about Dogs nuisance?

Started by tonyp on Introduce Yourself

12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2010, 10:42:31 PM
by AllanChris

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal