Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: XL Airways  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
XL Airways
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »
Hi

I saw this in the Times today. For those of us that like to book flights ahead of time, could this be a problem?
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article4641144.ece

Em

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2313.0
Em

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
Re: XL Airways
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
Hi, heard about "XL''s" difficulties on the news last night, it didn''t sound good - don''t think I''d book with them for next year..

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
We used them in August but the service wasn''t as good as I remember. Planned to use somebody else in October when we''re next out there.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:08:18 PM »
They are pulling out of some of their Caribbean destinations, some within the next month.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
Thanks, Em1.
I read about XL in the Times and with Zoom going into administration last week, it''s all a bit worrying. I always book flights with a credit card and then pay it off from my bank account, just so we''re covered if anything happens. I suggest anyone booking with a no frills should consider this option rather than just paying with a debit card which offers no insurance should the company go bust....consumers are always bottom of the list when it comes to reimbursements.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chrisjust1attheMerkez...

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »
remember you are usually insured with a credit card but not necessarily with a debit - oops too late!

Offline Ahsap Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • Tahta Villa
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:54:15 AM »
There is a possibility if you have paid with a visa debit card that you may get some money back, there is a little know ''charge back scheme'' ( according to the Mail) in the visa rules that might give similar protection to credit cards.  So worth talking to your card issuer if you have this type of debit card.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:13 AM »
Newspapes are reporting that up to 30 airline companies could fold in the coming months...this is really worrying for people who have booked their holidays and of course it will deter people from booking in advance. I thought it was fairly quiet in Klakan in August my thoughts are it will be a lot quieter next year.

Offline mangmang

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 10:09:55 AM »
Regarding the issue of Visa debit card payments there is the Visa debit charge back scheme. We booked six flights with XL.com and therefore were not atol protected! However after some research and a couple of calls to our bank it looks like we''ll be reimbursed because it counts as services not received/delivered.

It seems this scheme is not well known but there is more information here
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/125992-via-debit-card-chargeback.html

So at least we''ll get our oringinal flights payment back, about £380 per couple., but as we had booked those flights to get married in Kalkan we,ve had to rebook at least our own two flights, at £900 for the two of us :o

About half of our wedding party have amanged to rebook flights, at these vastly inflated prices, but the rest of them just can''t do it. they''re losing money on flights and villas and missing a holiday they''ve been planning for 18 months  :(

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
£450 per person for a return flight to Dalaman is very high.  If you could let us have your dates and departure airport, perhaps one of our members could find a cheaper fare.

Offline mangmang

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:35:40 AM »
There were cheaper fares with Goldtrail, but given what had just happened with XL I was reluctant to go with anyone but Thomas Cook or Thompson.

Also we had to add extra luggage, carrying more for two weeks and getting married. We looked at travelling to other airports etc but if flights were cheaper then we were looking at incurring further costs to get to there. Bristol airport is 20 minutes away so it does work out as the most convenient.

Other people have been scouring the net for flights, and it looks like the available carriers doubled their prices, supply and demand I guess  :(

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
John (The Feds) is correct that there is only a right to refund on Credit Card losses. However there is a proviso that the  loss exceeds £100.00.as contained in Sec75 Consumer Credit Act 1974  This is per item and not in total. With some of the very cheap fares which existed earlier this year it is just possible that this might prove to be a problem if some of the less respected Credit Card Companies adhere strictly to the rules. It would be only the flight element of the total which was affected and not the various supplements which would be less than £100.00. The majority of the Companies will in all probability take a very reasonable view and simply refund but there is just a possibility  for some to take a more pedantic attitude.

Section 75 includes Visa and Mastercard but does not give protection for Diners Club or American Express.

Regretably there is very little hope for Debit Card payments which fall outside the old Consumer Credit Act provisions and are in essence "cash payments" . A scheme may well exist but if it does surely pure logic would say that it would be advertised and not hidden. Ever suspicious and reading some of the items in the quoted Web Address I would advise great caution if you do decide to try making a claim and certainly do not pay any "agency" who may offer a service. Try yourself, it will at least be free, if it is a provision as is implied then the banks must honour your claim or explain very clearly their reasons for decline.

Hope this helps ... in any event try shouting whatever card you have. With the bad publicity banks are "enjoying" at the moment one of them may take a more lenient view and  the rest like sheep will hopefully follow and find some special circumstance which warrants a refund.

Sorry to be so long winded

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
British Airways

Started by clem turnbull on Flights and Travel

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 09:32:18 AM
by clem turnbull
xx
easyjet has bought GB airways

Started by cheeky chops on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 09:33:36 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal