Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What are opinions on airlines ?  (Read 13567 times)

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
What are opinions on airlines ?
« on: July 10, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've booked hotel for next year & was looking at flights.  Pretty well limited to Manchester.  Jet 2 ridiculous cost (though this year very reasonable - go figure !), Easyjet not yet released & get myself in a lather trying to pounce the second they open & choose best price/day/time as the cost clocks up.  But Monarch who has them out now at a reasonable price (no super bargain but not bad) & nice times I'm reluctant to book after all the cancellations/changes I read about on here.  I've got it into my head they're a company that could go bust & really can do without that aggravation.

Thought I'd solicit consensus opinions.  So all advice, views or insider info welcomed.  ;D

Thanks, LL

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13416.0

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: What are opinions on airlines ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:31:16 PM »
Well, we have over the past couple of years,  been converted to Easyjet (always try to book immediately when the sale comes online).  Flew with them three times this year, always punctual, no flight changes & unlimited weight in hand luggage.   Staff are courteous & not up & down the aisle trying to sell you something. Will definitely go with them again for all future flights - extra legroom seats a must!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
My opinion of airlines?   Well that's pretty unprintable .They treat customers like rubbish and lie and squirm when people complain....this year our Monarch flights were changed from the nice daytime we wanted to a ridiculous time on another day! we cancelled but then had to pay more with EasyJet as we had missed opening cheapies having booked with Monarch.This year EasyJet at Gatwick have been leaving the stand on time and marking flights as departed but the flights have been sitting on the airfield standing area for 30 mins to up to an hour..... sneaky beggars and if I leave from north terminal that's where I expect both me and my luggage to return not south when my transport is going to north but I suppose I should be eternally grateful I am at the same airport...all in all airlines stink >:( >:(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:40:11 PM by Blue Lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »
We flew with Monarch and the leg room is non existant...in my opinion you can only travel with the extra legroom seats.  We were moved to those seats for free on the way out as one of our seats was broken.  I instructed OH to book extra legroom for our flight in August and he had to pay £25 each......

When checking in at dalaman last night me and my friend asked if extra legroom seats were available and they moved us with priority booking for £17 each. 

Like jet2, will let you know how we get on with Turkish on our return flights i. aug.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
Thompsonfly from Stansted are more expensive but have always been punctual and have good early morning flights which means more time in KALKAN!!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »
We have used easyjet from Gatwick for about 8 or so years and always found them very good, even been early on occasion.......not had the problems BL had but then we are yet to use them this year.....roll on October!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
We've been easyJet flyers for years....brilliant flights but awful times. This year (June) we booked with Monarch and they changed our flight three times from a Monday flight to a Saturday flight...it was nerve wracking to say the least. However, their flights were brilliant and the cabin crew super friendly so we've booked with then again for 2017. I'm not sure if the flight will still be as we've booked....but I'm hoping it will be. The extras package gives you extra leg room seats and 26kg of luggage and compares favourably with easyJet's prices for a similar package but the daytime flights seal the deal.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »
Yes Haybo I spotted on Thelma & Louise's thread they remarked on just how small the seat spaces are.  I'm only 5' 2" & practically have my knees touch the seat in front of any low cost flight plane.

Am swayed to stick to what I've used the last few years which is Easyjet & just have all the alerts out for release dates.  They aren't nice times though.  Hopefully Jet 2 will bring 2017 prices down to this years level if business remains bad.  It's just whether Easyjet release before that happens.

Well whilst writing that kalkan4eva has got me doubting again with her latest post.  Are your flights from Manchester & is next years timetable the same as this years/the one you booked or the one you were moved to ?  I agree the civilised times are very attractive but if catch the Easyjet release save £40, but then need a taxi as too late for family pick-up.  Decisions decisions ! 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:40 PM »
Sorry, Lucy Lou...didn't mean to put the cat amongst the pigeons. Yes, our flights are from Manchester and they are the same times as this year. They moved our flight from a Monday to a Saturday but the times stayed the same (06.30 from Manchester). Our return flight was always booked for a Monday and that didn't change...we were due to arrive back in UK at 16.15 but we were delayed by about an hour. For us, the daytime flights made a huge difference and even if they'd cost us another £100 each, I'd have paid it just because we were so much more relaxed.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »
We went with easyjet for the first time this year and were very impressed but we like the flexibility of going on a Thursday and coming home on BH Monday thus extending our two weeks in the summertime. So for the past few years (and this summer) have flown TC there and monarch home - with extra leg room seats on monarch. TC have moved out flights from Thursday evening to Thursday afternoon so a better flight for no extra cost, however I think the plane will be a different carrier even though it's a TC flight. Why? because all correspondance starts with Herr Shaun  ::) :o ;D we shall see!!

Easyjet was fab though and if we were doing 14 days would be more than happy to book with them again.  :)

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 10:37:31 PM »
Well since I looked earlier in the week Monarch has gone up £20 or £30 and now falls in the expensive range so looks like Easyjet wins the day.

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:18 PM »
You guys in the south don't know how lucky you are, if you're north of Manchester you get ripped off!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Lizilu, you can do any combination of days with easyJet - not necessarily just 14 days. We have travelled EJ for years doing anything other than 14 days. I think the only days they don't have flights are a Wednesday and  Friday - at least that's how it used to be. We've often gone out on a Thursday flight and back on a Monday flight, its just the flight times I cant cope with any more - must be my age ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Ahh, I didn't realise K4E. Thanks for that and I'll bear that in mind.  :-*

I think we usually miss the release so prob monarch and TC work out cheaper and maybe we miss the seats on those days?Unfortunately we can't always book the minute flights come out due to work restrictions on booking holidays in advance...It's a long story  >:(

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
you can chose how many days you want on all the flights now. have been able to for years. OH once came out for a day trip a few years ago! :laugh:

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »
Flown back to Manchester with Monarch 2 weeks ago. From leaving our transfer car to airside was 20 minutes. Print your boarding card out and use the bag drop counter. Since we stay in Kalkan for several weeks the 1340 flight is ideal for us and actually got us back to Manchester 35 minutes early. Can be pricey though.

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:09 PM »
Agree with BL that all the airlines are rip off merchants who hide behind T&C's when there is a problem. Thomson usually seem to be the best of a bad lot but their prices are now usually way to high.
 I usually search via https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk to find flights. Just put in dates and all the flight options +\- a few days come up. I then book direct with the airline. We book daytime flights so this time fly out from Manchester at the end of September and back into Birmingham. We can do this as we live between the 2 airports and are picked up on return.
The flights are with Thomas Cook although they did change our flight times last year. I managed eventually to get a refund and rebook. I now have to wait 10 weeks hoping I get no emails from from Thomas Cook.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 08:50:43 PM »
A little publicised fact about Easyjet - if they change your flight times & they are unsuitable to you - EJ will allow you to choose another flight for no extra charge - have always been pleased with their service.

Offline annav

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zinnia
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 09:02:08 PM »
Does anyone know when the easyjet flights will be out for May 2017?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
Just check on here, annav....EK members tend to be faster then easyJet's own email/text alerts ;D ;D From memory it's the beginning of October that they release their mid-season flights. June used to be released in two tranches which was really annoying, but they've got better over the years.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:54:47 PM by kalkan4eva »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Food opinions please

Started by cleworthallray on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 06:25:29 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
New music - comments and opinions please!

Started by MartynE on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 01:48:48 PM
by MartynE
xx
Turkish airlines

Started by JACQUIVIVA on Flights and Travel

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 11:32:50 AM
by JACQUIVIVA
xx
Viking Airlines ??

Started by misty on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 11:14:14 AM
by jofoss

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kotor

Views: 3353
By: blondie
Xanthos history