Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Weigh before you fly!  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Weigh before you fly!
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Some of you old hands on here will know in the past we have joked about weighing "Larger" people in order to fly...well Air Samoa are the first to bring in  pay to fly by weight..... when you book you will be asked for your aproximate weight and your luggage..you will then pay for your flight...you will also be weighed again at the airport before your ticket is issued...and pay the difference if you have been easy with your estimate! It is expected other Airlines will follow suit!!...Will larger people be distributed evenly along the aircraft so they don't all sit at the back causing a wheelie effect???
i kid you not! :o ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10822.0
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Weigh before you fly!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »
Looks Like I will have to take it easy ond the Efes and all the good food ... or will it not matter if I put on a few kilos for the flight back to the UK ?     ;D >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
Mind you the Samoan's are generally a very large race so they will make a fortune. I better get back on the diet!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
Yes me to, better hurry up and finish off the Easter eggs!!  ;D

Jayne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »
Oh, heck!!! I'm not liking the sound of that!!!  :o

Jayne - I'm going to need all the support I can get so hurry up and finish those Easter eggs or give 'em to Bob!  ;D ;)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
I saw that item somewhere last night too BL.

It strikes me that someone will have to set a target weight for each millimeter of height. With people in the developed world getting heavier on average, year on year, there will need to be a lot of expensive equipment at the check-in desk to work it all out. I don't think it will happen, at least, not for a long time.

Will anorexics get refunds?
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »
All good and well weighing people, but what if they are so big that they do not actually fit into one seat?
I was on a flight many years ago and there was a man who was so big that he actually had two seats! I've also had the pleasure of being sat next to a person who was so big that they took up a good portion of my seat as well, not good when your 'stuck' to them for about 10 hours and all the other seats are occupied!!
Struck me that it was all about making money and not about the other passengers.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
It will be interesting to see if they offer a discount for small skinny folk!, wish I was a hobbit now!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
Yes and what about children. You could be 2 "overweight" adults with 2 skinny kids in the party. Would that not even itself out. I wonder on what they will base their "normal" weights on. If it's BMI of 20-25, then the majority of people will have to fork out!!  ???

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
It's no joke several times on long haul I've asked to be moved  because of some bloater taking up half my space.... I think its a great idea...

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »
It's no joke several times on long haul I've asked to be moved  because of some bloater taking up half my space.... I think its a great idea...

I know what you mean but just charging more won't stop that happening... yes charge larger people more but give them more space and reduce the space for small people..... (lights blue touchpaper and stands back!!! >:D )
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
HOBBO I think it goes like this 3---2---1     BANG !!!!

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »
I think it is a marvellous idea - on an internal flight in the States, I was shocked to see the cabin crew helping to push this woman down the aisle - and this was sideways :o  Imagine my horror when they heaved her into 3 - yes 3 seats, as she was so big.  Alas the row was in front of me, if there had been an incident, her sheer weight would have killed me :o :o :o

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
I don't think it's fair to discriminate against people because of their size but if someone is so seriously obese as is increasingly the case in the UK with our lazy lifestyles and predilection for junk food and take-aways, then it behoves any responsible airline to either make special seats for these people charging an appropriate penalty charge or banning passengers over a set 'safe' weight limit. Why anyone would want to visit Kalkan and its cardiac testing hills and alleyways is beyond me anyway. Stay at home and eat your junk food!
Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
It'll be Ryanair and Easyjet that will do it first - then wait for it to be declared Discriminatory under the ECHR.

The problem will be not whether the passenger is 'fat' but their weight.  So the discrimination would be against a 6 foot 10 inch rugby player paying more than a 5 foot nothing average weight person.  Remember - muscle is heavier than fat!

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
It'll be Ryanair and Easyjet that will do it first - then wait for it to be declared Discriminatory under the ECHR.

The problem will be not whether the passenger is 'fat' but their weight.  So the discrimination would be against a 6 foot 10 inch rugby player paying more than a 5 foot nothing average weight person.  Remember - muscle is heavier than fat!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories :-)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »
I think this is hilarious ;D ;D
For sure, I will always be paying excess baggage on the return trip...and not in my suitcase :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »
A 6ft 10inch rugby player would still only take up one seat,I am 6-3 and fit in a seat no problem...... If someone is FAT and needs 2-3 seats,Charge them for those seats .... nuff said .
( and stuff all the kids in with the luggage,giving more seats,more room ! )

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
We once went on a helcopter flight over the grand canyon and had to be weighed individually while carrying all our belongings. 
Of course Mum here always get's dumped with the handbag containing everything but the kitchen sink in it! I tell you it was bad enough jumping on the scales in the first place but not being able to take even my shoes off AND carry a bag that contained about 5 different factors of sun cream, flip flops, purses, snacks, make up, everyone's bit's and pieces etc etc was absolutely awful and the display was on view for all to see!! I really hope they don't bring this in at the airports!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
I'm definitely for sending unruly children to the hold...especially those that think its ok to kick the back of your seat for 90% of the journey...well said Fidimax :)
I always thought...rightly or wrongly...that those extra large passengers who took up two seats had to pay for both of them.
Lizilu, we would all wish to avoid the scales of shame...we pack so much heavy stuff into our hand luggage that the trauma of being publicly weighed with hand luggae would send me into counselling :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

roof bar

Views: 2369
By: NONAMETR
Aubergine