Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: TC Flight cancellations  (Read 17316 times)

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
TC Flight cancellations
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
Please note Thomas Cook have cancelled all flights from Doncaster to Dalaman, and I also understand they have cancelled all flights to Dalaman from Aberdeen and Norwich.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13199.0

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
Re: TC Flight cancellations
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
I believe TC are cancelling flights and using the planes to go to Spain etc...........anywhere but turkey !! We are flying with TC on 25th April from Birmingham to Dalaman and so far so good.......its not been cancelled yet,but I wont count my chickens,until we are sat on the plane and in the air !
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:53:58 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:24:12 PM »
We have 2 guests who have already had flights cancelled have re-booked with other air lines 1 with Monarch and the other with JET2, the first one to have their flight cancelled was offered by TC a package deal to either Benidorm or America in an attempt to keep hold of their money and also pay the difference.

Offline Eljhem

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
TC has cancelled the early Friday morning flight, so we have been moved to Thursday afternoon flight.

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »
I am sure Birmingham will be okay, it is the smaller airports TC have cut off purely for commercial reasons, they must be feeling the pinch,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:18:48 PM by White Rose »

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »
Hi Eljhem which airport is that please.

Offline Eljhem

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:55:20 PM »
White Rose, That is Dalaman-Gatwick
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:56:59 PM by Eljhem »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
We have had our August flight from Manchester to Dalaman cancelled and TC automatically moved us to an earlier flight. We lost our seats as we had paid to sit together but a phone call took care of this and they refunded £19.00 for the inconvenience. Better for us as we no longer have to fly the red eye!  :)

I do sympathise with the folk who have had to move airports as this is a real inconvenience and may well put some people off travelling to Turkey if they have to travel far to a larger airport. This combined with the terrorism fears I would imagine will really affect tourism this year.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »
We've suffered numerous flight changes and cancellations with TC over the years. The latest one being the cancellation of our flight back to the UK this week. We are now flying with Turkisk Airlines via Istanbul on Saturday. The record was six flight time changes and one cancellation on a round trip a few years ago.

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »
All Friday flights from Newcastle to Dalaman have been cancelled

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 12:10:20 AM »
Monarch cancelled our Sunday flight from Manchester to Dalaman - It's been removed from their schedule completely as we have friends who were booked on the same flight in September and theirs was cancelled too. They moved us onto the Saturday flight, automatically but we didn't have to accept it. Similar to Lizilu, we had booked our seats and extra legroom and I'm relieved these extras including more weight for luggage and meals were also transferred. Not the best of starts for us and Monarch - easyJet have not cancelled a flight/changed our dates or even times for the past 6 years we've flown with them. We only chose Monarch because of the earlier flight times..they were much more expensive than EJ:(
Starting to wish we had stuck with the late easyJet flights....
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
I might be over simplifying this but then I'm a simple soul!  :laugh:
All these flight cancellations seem a bit "chicken and egg"? Flights are being cancelled and diverted because people don't feel safe about travelling to Turkey but surely that is just adding fuel to the fire? People are believing that it is dangerous and the cancelled flights are confirming that. There is no official advice to avoid travelling to most of turkey, this is the only thing that would stop us coming.
I feel so sorry for those that depend on tourism in Kalkan and other resorts for their livelihood.

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 10:27:58 PM »
Bottom line is that Thomas Cook follow the money.  If bookings are heading away from Turkey they will want to sell seats to those places.
The media are in the business of selling space so anything that panders to the masses hits the front  page. 
Saw Nigel Farage on Sunday morning TV raising concerns that a Muslim country (ie Turkey) could be a member of the EU within 5 years and so we should all be voting to leave.  Absolute rubbish but amazing how many idiots believe it.
Best batten down the hatches as it will take years to recover the confidence of tourists and that's only if the current situation improves.  I would suggest that it can only get worse in the short term and existing businesses (and perhaps more importantly existing building owners) need to wake up and realign their pricing strategy.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:57:13 PM »
I wonder what the media reaction will be if (when) an attack takes place in one of the "safe" alternative destinations. And whether the airlines will then have to cancel all these switched flights.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:00:32 AM by MartynE »

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 02:26:38 AM »
I would suggest that it can only get worse in the short term and existing businesses (and perhaps more importantly existing building owners) need to wake up and realign their pricing strategy.
Do you really think  'realigning the pricing strategy' (whatever that means) would make any difference?
I haven't been asleep and I think the people who want to come to Kalkan will come and the people who are scared off won't.  The pricing strategy will make little or no difference at all but the overheads will continue at the same or at an increasing rate.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »
Chris S, how right you are!  We lowered our prices to our starting price in 2009, about 50%, and contacted all renters who had given positive recommendations.  Zero!  If people don't want to come, they won't regardless of the incentive.

But people have short memories.  In 2004 we had the Madrid train bombings that killed 191 people.  Spain is a major transit point for terrorists wanting to enter Europe.  An article in the Daily Mail on Jan 22, 2016 quotes: "'We will recover our land from the invaders': ISIS issues chilling threat to launch terror attacks in Spain to reimpose Muslim rule after 500 years."

Yet flights and tourists are going to Spain.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
My comment in relation to 'building owners' was directed at those landlords that rent to local businesses / restaurants and see them as cash cows which gets reflected in the prices being charged during the season.

I'll be in Kalkan for 6 or 7 weeks this year but my philosophy is 'if I think the establishment is overcharging I won't give it my custom.' I don't often frequent the harbourside restaurants particularly during the July / August period as there are plenty of other options but I do think that if restaurants can't turn a profit due to high rents / lower visitor numbers then something has to give.

I have sympathy for owners who let their villas / apartments - if the customer can't even get to the resort via a TC or TUI flight then no matter what the price it won't make a difference.

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
Hi Bankieken,                                                                                                                                                                           I accept your point.  It seems ridiculous that the rents charged at the rebuilt harbourside restaurants are so prohibitively high, to the extent that 3 units remain unoccupied in this prime location.  Surely, leases could have agreed at reasonable rents with suitably worded break clauses in view of the prevailing problems in the tourist industry.
[/size]I worry that restauranteurs may withdraw from Kalkan and not return, leading to a long term decline of Kalkan as an attractive destination for tourists, bearing in mind that a large part of Kalkan's draw is its reputation for great food.[/font]

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
"But people have short memories.  In 2004 we had the Madrid train bombings that killed 191 people.  Spain is a major transit point for terrorists wanting to enter Europe.  An article in the Daily Mail on Jan 22, 2016 quotes: "'We will recover our land from the invaders': ISIS issues chilling threat to launch terror attacks in Spain to reimpose Muslim rule after 500 years."

Yet flights and tourists are going to Spain" .

[/quote]
Apologies didn't know how to do the quote thing

WOW !! . TC were offering our cancelled flight only guest's alternative package deals to Benidorm ??? .
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:16:57 PM by White Rose »

Offline bankieken

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
Hi Bankieken,                                                                                                                                                                           I accept your point.  It seems ridiculous that the rents charged at the rebuilt harbourside restaurants are so prohibitively high, to the extent that 3 units remain unoccupied in this prime location.  Surely, leases could have agreed at reasonable rents with suitably worded break clauses in view of the prevailing problems in the tourist industry.
I worry that restauranteurs may withdraw from Kalkan and not return, leading to a long term decline of Kalkan as an attractive destination for tourists, bearing in mind that a large part of Kalkan's draw is its reputation for great food.

Chris S

You make a good point about the empty units at the harbour but unfortunately it sometimes takes people a while to recognise the scale of a problem before doing anything about it.  If this season really is as bad as everyone is saying it will be I suspect, in the short term, only a small minority of commercial building owners might wake up to the reality of the situation.

Perhaps Kalkan will experience a relative decline in popularity from its peak but I don't think it would be long term or terminal. Everything goes in cycles and maybe the peak for Kalkan in this cycle has happened.  It will come back stronger and hopefully with a more long term view on developing tourism rather than have a take the money and run mentality.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flight available

Started by Harry on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
by Harry
xx
Connecting flight

Started by csivegas-rob on Flights and Travel

15 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:31:46 PM
by csivegas-rob
xx
Things you can take on your flight

Started by TeddyBare on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 02:24:12 PM
by TeddyBare
xx
Flight Agencies

Started by Mister Barnacle on Flights and Travel

9 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 09:22:39 PM
by crystal

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal