Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Taxi Dispute  (Read 33429 times)

Offline Annie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Taxi Dispute
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »
I have just booked a scuba diving day with the company in Kalamar Bay.  Yesterday I got an e-mail saying they could no longer offer free transfers as there is a problem with the taxi drivers offering this service around Kalkan.  Is this a recent development?
Also, I am having a turkish bath at the Asfiya, what is the best thing to wear and can I walk here, we are staying at The Emir complex. Any replies would be helpful.  Thanks. Annie

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2156.0

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Taxi Dispute
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:25:06 PM »
You can easily walk the 5 minutes to the Asfiya from the Emir and the staff will give you directions.

Offline slodge

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
Surely the ban on free transfers will start to affect trade.  If you added up the cost of a return taxi to the kalamar beach club, entry and lunch/drinks for a family of 4 it would be huge.   i think i would rather stay by the pool. 

Does this mean that Adem no longer does his free transfers to his restaurant either. 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:31:35 PM by slodge »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »
What next with the taxi drivers?  A boycott of the petrol station for supplying fuel to those that have had the cheek to buy cars?!  Outlawing the offering of lifts to people unless confirmation is given that the driver and passenger are related or have known each other for x years?!

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
You do have to wonder how much further this restrictive practise will go.

Surely, this type of behaviour can only be viewed as a restrictive practise that impinges on other peoples basic human rights to make a living without fear or intimidation. (And no I am not some limp wristed liberal quototing the human rights act). It just seems so obviously wrong, that a small group of people can cause so much upset to others. In other towns such as Kas the taxi drivers can not get away with this sort of behaviour, as there are alternatives such as Dolumus''s and the town is far easier to get around. The other thing is that Kas has a large native Turkish population and an equally large amount of Turkish visiting on their holidays who simply would not put up with this behaviour.
I actually think that it simply boils down to greed and lets screw the wealthy foreigners.

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »
Adem gave us a return lift to his restaurant in his own car in June.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
I just find it extraordinary that local business are allowing themselves to be bullied in this way. Surely they must be aware that this is/will have an knock effect on their businesses and they way visitors view Kalkan in general. Is the Mayor (not sure what powers he has) actually aware of the negativity this is causing and if so does he care! Is there Don Corleone/Mr Big of the Taxi''s that everyone is afraid of?
Isis

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »
I have just returned and it appears that the Taxi drivers are above the Law. they have stopped the free hotel shuttle services from the hotels, Beach clubs,Dive centres & supermarkets, and even though the Samira Deluxe has all the legal papers (so i was told)  to offer the service, the Taxi drivers physically, and I mean Physically, prevented the bus from running. When the Taxi drivers were challenged, the Taxi drivers  became very abusive shouting  "English to Go Home"

Well Mr Taxi Drivers, I am now "home" and I will not be returning to Kalkan

People will vote with their feet, Kalkan is not the only nice place in the world, so on balance with the construction, the increased hassle from restaurant''s greeters, and most of all the above disputes, i will be looking elsewhere.

Did I have a great holiday, yes of course and the friendliness of the Turkish people is as good as it has ever been and all the guys at the SD could not do enough to make our holiday great - Thanks!

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
I am getting heartily sick of all of this, taxi''s dictating, crime wave etc and for the first time am considering not returning next year to Kalkan and we have visited twice a year since 2000!!

Restrictive practices and security issues now dictate where I stay in Kalkan and it is all becoming less attractive.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »
Well we voted with our feet this year.

We decided not to stay in Kalkan, but to rent a villa on the peninsular in Kas. We had a wonderfull stress free holiday and lets face it, its only a 25 minute drive into Kalkan, which we did twice, with one evening spent at adams and the other at the Sofra. I''ve got to say that Kas is far more cosmopolitan than Kalkan and what a real pleasure it was meeting lots of Turkish people on holiday which you do not get in Kalkan. I think we had the best of both worlds.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »
How sad is this to hear from these last two posts, but I can''t say I''m surprised

It it worth a letter/peitition to someone somewhere, anyone any ideas, or would we be wasting our time.
We would be happy to put our names to one.

Isis

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »
My husband is a ''black cab driver'' (not to be confused with mini cab driver) in London and would like to know if these sort of restrictive practices could be brought in here.  If no one could use any other means of publice transport we could be on our way to being millionaires providing he had the physical stamina for all the work that would be available. :D :D

Fortunately we are staying at the Samira so won''t be needing a taxi, however our friends are staying in a villa and if they want to drink in the evenings this will add a considerable extra expense to their holiday. 

Are the water taxis charging to go the beach clubs as well?  We always make several trips to Mahal beach club.

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 06:18:06 PM »
Sorry meant to say this previously if all the ''English go home'' what would happen to Kalkan - as far as I can see there is no other industry/jobs other than the tourists and owners?

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
"if all the ''''English go home'''' what would happen to Kalkan?"

They will have killed the goose that laid the golden egg!!!

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 06:40:56 PM »
The fact that people have no choice but to use taxis to go anywhere that is not within walking distance does not bode well for the future of tourism in Kalkan.  Once people have visited and get wind of the situation surely it will put them off coming back unless they have very deep pockets!  As villa owners who love Kalkan we will not be deterred by the taxi mafia and will be hiring a car or scooter in future for trips to beach clubs and shopping etc and walk to the village and back in the evening.  Fortunately our villa is within walking distance but I pity the folk who have no choice but to use a taxi after enjoying an evening out (and a drink).  Some of our guests this year commented that the cost of taxis and the expense of eating out for a family meant that they spent more time at the villa and only ate out every 2 or 3 nights.  This trend would obviously affect local bars, restaurants and beach clubs and will mean less fares for the taxi drivers - ''Shooting oneself in the foot'' and ''Poetic justice'' springs to mind but unfortunately this will not just apply to the taxi drivers.

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
I''m still curious as to how beach clubs like the Kalamar operate within this system.
Last year they would pay your taxi fare as you arrived, then give you a lift home in one of their vehicles.

Do they still pay your fare when you arrive at their club?
Do we now have to pay for our own lift home in a taxi?

Would much appreciate a recent report on how it works now, then we can see if we need to budget a trip or two into our holiday spends.

Offline slodge

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
The first time i came to Kalkan i stayed at the Kulube who used to run a transfer into town several times a day..  Unfortunately due to its location at the far end of Kalamar bay the cost of a taxi would now make this an unlikely choice.  luckily we are staying at the Pasha and will therefore walk to and from town .  however it seems unlikely that we will go to any of the beach clubs this year unless it is to possible to walk down to the Yali (dont know its new name.)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 10:55:10 PM »
It makes my heart sink to read posts from people who have contributed much to this forum, like Jofoss and Bluefudge, saying they are not returning to Kalkan. Is it really that bad???  :( :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:03 PM »
Hi
Kalkan is as lovely as ever! We have had a few issues recently, but we all know there are so many positives in Kalkan.
It is a shame that we don''t seem to be focussing on the good things at the moment. Perhaps we should start again - and remind ourselves how lovely Kalkan can be?
Em
Em

Offline marking

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 07:02:53 AM »
It would be great to focus only on the positive things in kalkan, and there are many people who try to do this and there are many positive threads on here, but we all know we have to get around when we are here and in such extreme temperatures we can''t walk up and down the very steep hills here, so we NEED transport and on holiday away from home we rely on the local transport whatever it is. Here it''s taxis, and when people read about the high prices of taxis and in-fighting they are naturally outraged. The same goes with the burglary stuff, people want to relax on holiday not come here in fear and worrying about getting robbed at night, or having their children gassed. We''re powerless to stop the taxis because we are foreigners who have no political say here and likewise we can''t be assured of a better police force
It''s the fact these issues are left unresolved and a big problem for tourists that they linger on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

grin
Cheaper than a Taxi!

Started by Rudolf Hucka on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 07:17:35 PM
by Chris18648
grin
Water Taxi

Started by sausagedog on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 07:53:54 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
new taxi prices

Started by samson on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
by MartynE
xx
Water Taxi

Started by caradog on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post October 16, 2019, 10:11:05 AM
by caradog

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

kaputas

Views: 3383
By: baykush
Sunset