Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Car Hire?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Car Hire?
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »
Hi everyone, long time since i've been on the forums, this will be our 6th visit on the trot to Kalkan ( probably just beginners  ;) ) anyway we are hiring a car for the first time as we want to get out and about a bit more, I haven't made any arrangements as yet, so if anyone can advise on the best and most economical car hire firm in Kalkan I'd very much appreciate it, we are coming out on 10th May, don't need the car rental from the airport just from Kalkan.

Thanks.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11982.0
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:05:12 PM by EK Moderator »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
If you've already booked your transfer with a local firm I suggest you ask them about car hire as you are more likely to get a good deal. We book transfers with Enes and they always cut the price of car hire if we need one. If you are getting to Kalkan by other means, I suggest you shop around in the village when you get there. It's early season so I'm sure you will get good prices.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:11:33 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline Chris S

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
I have used Brave Tours over the last 5 years, both for transfers for my guests and for car hire.  I have had good feedback from guests and have always been pleased with the cars I have rented, so have no hesitation in recommending them.
You will probably have an overall saving if you collect and return the car from/to the airport iinstead of paying for transfers as well as car hire.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »
In the past we've always used Dalaman Cars at the airport, this time we are going with Brave Tours, once again picking up at the airport but we don't pay for it until we reach Kalkan which I find very trusting. We went with them after reading good reports on here & their prices were very competitive.

Offline Tomcat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:38 PM »
Whatever you do don't use Pandora car hire in Dalaman.  We were totally let down by them last October when they failed to deliver a car despite confirming to us on several occasions that everything was arranged.  They effectively left us stranded and made no effort whatsoever to contact us beforehand  to tell us there was a problem or to assist us in finding another car.  Avoid these cowboys at all costs!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
Re: Re: Car Hire?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
If you have a transfer you may not need a car for the whole of your holiday. Think carefully about how much you will use it and what you will do on those days. There is no point having a car that just does a couple of miles in a day, you may as well use a taxi. We used to have a car for all of our holiday but now tend to have one just for the middle period (one of which is always a Thursday so we don't have to walk to/from the market and carry produce back) and use a taxi on the other days to do local journeys, which is cheaper and means my husband can have a beer with lunch.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »
I should have said, we don't ever hire a car for more than three days and Enes allow us to split those days as three single days as opposed to three consecutive days.
Hope that helps  :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »
Agree with ChrisS and pompeyalbie.  Have been using Brave Tours for several years, many times each year and the service they offer is wonderful.  Pick your car hire up at Dalaman and they will give you a driver to drive you back to Kalkan - very welcome after a 4 hour plane journey.  They have very good offers on at the moment, check out their website at www.bravetours.com.
Just a word of warning to those who drive from the airport.  Just read that there have been police checks on the D400 with all cars being stopped and all drivers breathalysed.  Remember if you have one or more passengers in your car you are allowed no alcohol at all, so no drinks on the plane!

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded, we wont be hiring from the airport, we just thought that the amount we spent on taxis last year going into town at lunchtime, and the same again at night, ( we are staying at Eagles Nest so it's quite a walk into town) was pretty expensive, so we thought that the car would obviously give us much more freedom, albeit a bit more expensive, having said all that, can anyone tell me how much a taxi would be from the rank in town to where we are staying? I think it was approx 17TL last year.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:14:38 PM by Alex »

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
Take care if you are having a drink. If you have a passenger it is zero alcohol.

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
Take care if you are having a drink. If you have a passenger it is zero alcohol.

Yes indeed, it's maybe a game changer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Car hire.

Started by clara48 on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 07:14:16 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
car hire

Started by debby on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 07:52:57 PM
by turkeyfan
smiley
car hire

Started by philpot on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 08:30:53 PM
by Chucky
xx
Car Hire

Started by jcac on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 03:19:40 PM
by Charlie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal