Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Monarch flights vs Easyjet scrum  (Read 15065 times)

Offline BYBV

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Happy Holidays!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Monarch flights vs Easyjet scrum
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:22 PM »
Hi, we're booked to come to Kalkan next July.  We are looking at Monarch/Thomas Cook flights which are showing as available and bookable.  Looking at the other threads regarding Easyjet, is it worth waiting for the scrum when they announce the Dalaman flights, and do these charter airlines suddenly fill up instantly the Easyjet cheap seats have gone?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10135.0

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Monarch flights vs Easyjet scrum
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »
Just to let you know that you can pre book seats on Easyjet from November. We booked yesterday and the prices were very good even with the seat booking, worth a look!
Carpe diem

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
Personally I'd wait for the easyJet flights - flying Thomas Cook is the worst possible start to a holiday IMO.
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
TC have the worst seat pitch, really cramped, and also have a poor record on punctuality and altering departure times.
Now EJ have seat selection there will not be a scrum anymore at DLM. Good seat pitch wherever you sit on EJ aircraft.

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »
We've flown with Monarch for several years and always found them very good. Best prices (once baggage + other extras are included) and have always left/arrived on time. We have to be flexible on departure airport as our nearest (Birmingham) always seems way more expensive than others (Manchester for example). Never flown Thomas Cook as they've always been way too expensive with poor flight times.

Just come back from Kalkan having flown Monarch and flights were again on time. Only problem this time was they cancelled our original flight by which time alternative airlines were really expensive so we had to settle for the Monarch option which was night flights - not great with 2 kids. For us the most important thing is the combination of lowest cost with decent flight times. Off to Cyprus next year so we'll be looking to book flights pretty soon and I'll bet that Monarch come back as the cheapest.
Live for today, plan for tomorrow, party tonight!

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
We avoid flying Monarch if possible because on every occasion we have flown with them the flight has been delayed and waiting around in the airport for a couple of hours at the start or end of a holiday is not something we want to do. My son and friends few back from Kalkan in July with Monarch and had a twelve hour delay at Daleman.
I have also found the Monarch staff not the most customer focused passengers. Personally I think that Monarch make Ryanair look like a premium airline.
One advantage we find with Easyjet is that there is no restriction on the weight of hand baggage as long as you can put it up in the overhead locker. There is a size restriction but it is more generous than some budget airlines. As we always seem to have way in excess of our twenty kilo hold baggage allowance each when we go to Kalkan the additional weight we can pack into our hand luggage is very useful.
Next years flights are already booked on Easyjet so I hope that this post does not tempt fate and make the plane delayed!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
Finding this year that more and more add ons are being charged for.....Airport taxes seem very high this year and luggage prices are also high ....so far Easyjet have only released up until the 15th june..we can fly out but can't book to fly back..thats not very easy?..looked at coming back with another airline but ridiculous prices being asked ..i almost expect to see a box at the end with please tick if you would like a pilot=£10 >:D >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline BYBV

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Happy Holidays!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies.  I presume that there is a mad dash for the Easyjet cheap tickets when they are announced and I presume (from the other posts) that they are gone within minutes.  Also, do you think that the prices for Monarch etc go up the longer you leave it?

Thanks,
Tim.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »
yes they will..don't forget if you have checked a flight  to clear your cookies afterwards...most airlines/agents use a worm that detects interest from you in flights you look at and this automatically inflates the price when you look in again ;)

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
If that were true Blue Lizard,i'm sure the Office of fair Trading would be very interested.I have however tested this on a number of occasions with 2 computers (a laptop & a tablet) & have found it to be not the case.Unless of course they have a 'worm' or whatever attached to my internet address. 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
Do you think the toothless office of fair trading give a monkeys or can do anything about what airlines do? they have been a law unto themselves since i don't know when .I will keep clearing my cookies regardless....better safe than sorry ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:33:53 PM by blue lizard »

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
BL is right Johnjen. It is not illegal, (yet) for companies to set tracking cookies that tell them when you have visited their site before. It is, in fact, quite common. With Firefox browser you can at least delete them automatically at the end of a session. Not sure about Internet Explorer or Google Chrome as I don't use them. The former was always very weak on personal security and the latter comes from a company that thrives on advertising revenue.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
I flew with Monarch the first once or twice, it was ok. Ever since, always been with Thomas Cook, they were cheaper with better choice of flight times. They too are ok and i have never been delayed. Mind you being only 5ft 2, the seat pitch isn't generally an issue!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
jeeez!! at 5ft 2" you'd fit in the overhead locker :-* ;D ;D

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
No Bubbles it is not illegal to use cookies for advertising etc.but it is illegal to use them to bump prices up.No airline would dare do it,the penalties would be catastrophic.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
So where is that written, Johnjen? The prices on the websites are set by the airlines and are an offer to 'treat'. If you don't like the price, you don't buy it.

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
Well not sure if it was cookies or what but I booked 2 one way tickets with EJ on Saturday to Dalaman for £79 each (ex admin fee and luggage) and today I decided to book the return flights, they weren't too bad price wise but I thouoght I would check if the price had changed for the outbound flights just for interest and - wow- each ticket was now £145 - in just 3 days!!

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
That's right.I paid £170 return on thursday last (day flights released)same flights today £308.On my laptop,my tablet,my phone and on my friends PC also.Clever these cookies.   

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
Like BL, we've booked our outbound flights with easyJet when they were released - I actually got an email the same day they went on sale :o :o £59.00 each one way from  Manchester - once we'd prebooked extra leg room seats, luggage including an extra 3k (for bacon and sausages... ;)) and had taxes, charges and that "admin fee" added they'd risen to £100 each - still a bargain when you look at the cost of Jet2, Monarch et al. I wouldn't consider travelling with TC again...quite possibly the worst airline we've flown with - and we've flown with a few dodgy companies over the years. Think I'd rather stick pins in my eyes..Looked at some return flights with other airlines and they are silly money...plus it looks as though we have to pay in Euros for a one way flight from Dalaman...is that right?

Hey BL have you ever thought our one way flights are a sign......?  :) We can go but we can't come back..sounds good to me :laugh:
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
When EJ told me to book one way then book another flight to come home when released i thanked them and reminded them i would then pay 2 lots of admin charge by doing this...i have since recieved an incident number and the promise of my admin charge refunded...it's not a lot but i won't be mugged by an airline... >:D
K4e..try it then you can buy me a beer with the refund :angel: ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbup
Monarch/CAA flights

Started by pw on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2017, 03:24:22 PM
by Pompeyalbie
xx
Monarch Flights

Started by tonik1945 on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 04:12:44 PM
by tonik1945
thumbup
New Monarch flights from Birmingham to Dalaman

Started by Loopylell on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 03:17:33 PM
by Loopylell
xx
EasyJet flights

Started by Tatilde on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 06:42:03 PM
by Lola1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Istanbul 2010

Views: 3472
By: friends
Harbour Jan 08