Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Freedom Flights - Beware!!  (Read 3002 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Freedom Flights - Beware!!
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Just a word of warning... our friends and their family - total size of party 12 - are due to come to Kalkan and stay in our apartment (and two others in the same block) in two weeks'' time. They booked their flights with Freedom Flights from Gatwick about six months ago, paid in full and had an email receipt in confirmation that 12 flights had been booked.

On checking today with Freedom Flights as to when their tickets would arrive, our friend was informed "oh dear... silly us, we''ve actually only booked five seats for you!"

Worse, there were no more seats available on that flight now. They have now managed to get the other seven onto a flight 12 hours later, but this means extra transfers, and half a day''s holiday lost for the seven.  PLUS, on the day they come back to UK, one of the apartments has guests booked in for that day so they will have to arrange alternative accomodation for four of the party for their last night! Freedom Flights are offering £500 compensation but that''s not going to make up for all the hassle and inconvenience.

So, the moral of this story is... I don''t know, but always check flight bookings as rigorously as you can!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2199.0

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
Re: Freedom Flights - Beware!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
That''s interesting Martyn, our experience of Freedom Flights has also been pretty awful. Our daughter''s  friends (aged 17) were due to fly out of Dalaman a few weeks ago, only to be told their flight had been cancelled when they arrived at the airport. They were then informed they would be put up in a hotel until the next day. They had no money between them and the hotel was a hovel in a rather dodgy part of town.  Most managed to get onto flights later that evening (at great extra cost to their parents). I was acutely embarassed as I had booked the flights in the first place.

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
A nightmare Martyn . I had a similar experience with Onur air booked through Goldtrail holidays.
Moral for me....never Onur air again even if they offer half price seats.
Chris.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:45:09 AM »
We have used Goldtrail once ..and that will be the only time :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »
Oh dear....

On Monday this week I tried to book flights over the phone with Goldtrail, I was on hold for over 2 hours- being told I was in a queue and when I got to first in the queue the message said "All lines are busy, please try again later" and then I was cut off!! Arrrgghh!! How frustrating.  Anyway to cut a very long story short, I have now booked the flights with Freedom Flights.  Reading this thread it seems I''ve picked the two worse companies.  The tickets are for my daughters and my sister, going this Friday night and they have to collect the tickets from the airport - I hope everything is OK for them. ::)

Kay
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »
Turkeyfan, we booked with Freedom Flights last year (last minute) and had to collect tickets at the Airport. If it''s Manchester they are flying from beware....they told me terminal 2 over the phone and when we arrived it was actually terminal one - bit of a hike with the cases - so allow loads of time or phone up the airport independently and check the terminal with them. Other than that - everything was fine. Similarly with Onur in June this year - no problems whatsoever and we''ve booked with them for next year.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »
Thanks K4E I''ve been told terminal 2 as well.  They are flying with XL, so I will phone the airport now. The whole thing is turning into a nightmare - my cousin who is also going doesn''t get his passport until Friday and they have to be at Manchester for 4.30!  

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »
XL were going out of terminal 2 at Manchester this year. Onur and XL were using the same check in area, which was on a different level to the main check in area. There is a lift to go down to it.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
Crikey...they''ll be having their own version of the Wacky Races :laugh:
If it''s any help when we went last year with Freedom Flights it wasn''t an XL plane and I do think they fly out of terminal 2 with Onur, but it''s worth checking to be on the safe side.
If your cousin is going to collect his passport from the Passport Office in Liverpool, be aware they block book appointments so he won''t be the only one with the time given to him  >:( Tell him to get there as early as he can.
Also if he hasn''t already been once with the paperwork he''ll have an hour or so (sometimes more) wait once he''s completed that section before he can actually collect the passport.
Apologies if this isn''t relevant, but thought I''d give you a heads up on that little adventure, given all your other issues.

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »
Hi Turkeyfan. Following my last minute let down with Onur air,we flew with XL. and it was excellent.Just a very last minute large hike in price ....thank you onur air. :-X

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »
Chris, I believe Goldtrail actually charter the planes from Onur Air, so any problems are probably due to Goldtrail, who don''t have a good reputation at the best of times rather than Onur Air. H4U and their flight subsidiary company, Aegean Flights, are the UK agents for Onur Air. Anyone booking via Aegean/H4U now doesn''t have to reconfirm the return flight.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 09:43:37 PM »
My neighbour in Kalkan said he had been told, by another booking co, to be very careful of using Goldtrail as they may be one of the holiday co''s facing big problems. I have no personal interest in this and you should conduct your own research into any company you use.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline CATSOO58

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »
Hi, we have just returned from Kalkan using Freedom flights and Onur air from Liverpool with no problems at all. Booked on the web on the Sunday and flew out on time the following Friday, picking tickets up from the airport before the flight. We confirmed the flight home 24 hrs before and took off on time and landed 1/2hr early. Would def. use them again.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Freedom Direct gone bust :-(

Started by Linsue on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:42:07 AM
by Linsue
xx
2012 flights, when are they released - good daytime flights wanted! Best airline

Started by emmabroadhurst on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 09:23:35 AM
by Cuddles
xx
Beware !

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 09:29:24 PM
by misty
xx
Owners beware - here we go again

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM
by Mayday1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal