Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: flight seating  (Read 3482 times)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
flight seating
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
Hi everyone, we are hoping to visit Kalkan again this year it'll be our tenth time in five years, proper addicts and very fortunate to have had such wonderful times there. As I said in my last post our flights are with Thomas Cook  but they fly us back with Onur air. We always pick our seats so we sit together but after looking on the website it appears that you can't do this with Onur you are allocated at check-in.  I am a liitle concerned about this as I suffer chest/asthma problems and would be happier to sit by hubby just in case I became unwell. Ì enjoy flying usually and am probably overreacting as thankfully I have had no health problems when flying before. I was just curious about anyone's experience of flying with Onur and whether they are quite accommodating regarding seating requests or whether it's better to check in much earlier with it probably being a first come first served basis which of course would mean altering our tranfer times .  Sorry if this all sounds a bit woosey but it is putting me off a little even though I really want to go. Also I noticed that we can book excess baggage  beforehand on the way out but not on the way back which seems a bit daft as we are normally heavier coming home and if you are over how much are they likely to clobber us. The villa etc is on hold until today so have to make my mind up asap. Àny input would be great maybe to put my mind at rest, many thanks.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10733.0

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: flight seating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
We've flown many times with Onur in the past but haven't done so for several years. We always found their flights to be fairly good with decent leg room, similar to Easyjet. When you check in, providing you're not at the back of the queue you should be given seats together. From memory check in opens about 2 1/2 hrs before departure. I can't advise re the excess baggage but we always weigh our cases (if we have them) at an empty desk in the airport before getting in the queue, quite often now we just travel with hand luggage. I wouldn't have any qualms about flying with Onur again if the times/price suited us.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
Thanks littlelin that's very helpful good to hear about the legroom, we're only tiddlers but still find it cramped don't how taller people can be at all comfortable, cheers!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
It's also worth emailing TC (as you booked with them and so your contract is with them) to say that you are concerned that you might not get seats together on the return and wouldn't have booked with them if you had known this and could they arrange this for you due to your breathing problems.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »
The only problem with that is they may think you are not fit to fly!  I had to come back from Kalkan last year on a special disabled journey and the Dalaman crowd made life very unpleasant saying I was not fit to fly if I couldn't walk from the taxi to the queue in the doorway.  If I were you I would just get there early and ask to sit together. 

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
Thanks everyone. Yes Skunk I get what you're saying, I wondered if this might happen that they might overreact, it must have been a really unpleasant experience for you.  Think I'm just being a bit over cautious as we've always been able to prebook seats together and thank goodness I've had no real health problems flying previously and had no trouble getting insurance. Think I'll book today anyhow and just go with the flow. Thanks again.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
You don't have to be able to walk to fly!  What about people in wheelchairs?

My mum had very bad lung problems a few years ago when she was recovering from lung cancer and we even had to arrange oxygen in Kalkan but she had no problems flying.  We arranged with Thomas Cook that she could have wheelchair assistance at Manchester and Dalaman. On arrival at both airports she was given a wheelchair and a person to push her, was taken to the front of the queue at checkin and then taken to the gate and her and my dad were the first on the plane on both legs of the journey.

As she still has COPD and struggles to breathe when she walks quickly she does this every time she flies even though she no longer longer needs help with oxygen. 

PM me if you need any more info about wheelchair assistance.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
As said leave for the airport nice and early. Mrs L hates flying and insists on sitting next to me!! lol...we always leave for Dalaman with loads of time to spare(we allow an extra hour on what would be normal)..we stop for coffee and have a leisurely time..you may have to wait for check in to open but hey!by going early you will also miss the coaches that turn up for your flight from the bigger companys that go to Olu etc so lining up inside is better than lining up outside we have always managed to sit together .......... ;)
If you did  get seperated you could always speak to the stewardess and explain that you shout and scream if you are seperated from your hubby..bet they would find you seats together!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
Thanks Lizard good advice, you're right about the coaches, we always seem to arrive in our transfer car smack bang behind a coach full of people and end up lining up outside like sheep [mind you should be used to it being Welsh LOL] Think it would be better to ask our usual lovely driver maybe to pick us up a little bit earlier than usual allowing time for our vital stop at the garage for our last cold Efes in the sunshine of course. Looks like we might be going for it, flying Bank Holiday Monday for eighteen nights, have to decide later as it's D-Day, noticed a few bottles of vino blanco in the fridge think my OH might have a cunning plan  :o  Wondering if you and Mrs Lizard intend to grace Kalkan with your presence again this year  ???

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »
Turkeyfan thanks for your reply, it's great to hear that your Mum has been well looked after when she's flown. My best friend has flown with mobility problems in the past and has had to have wheelchair assistance and couldn't speak highly enough of the care and attention she received. Always good to hear!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
Yes we are Clara...we have booked with Easyjet and pre booked seats this time instead of speedy boarding .....we will still be leaving nice and early as it has become our normal thing now...a nice leisurely coffee and a stroll around the petrol station shop, a handfull of  keyrings later and a couple of naff dishcloths later and a statue thing of that man with a big willy(which will seem a good idea at the time) and a whiff of petroleum up me nostrils to set me up for the airport ;D
103 days....wheeeeey!!!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Glad to hear you're going again, you can tell them in Yali's to stock up on Efes ready for us. You must go to the same petrol  station as us, fridge magnet collectors heaven, disappointed they don't sell Turkish rock, well you have to get rid of those odd liras somewhere. Had my eye on the willy man myself real classy, but don't want to make my OH feel inadequate lol. Well I've bit the bullet and decided to go, OH didn't need to ply me with the vino blanco after all but hey  might as well enjoy it whilst he's slaving on the laptop booking the flights, happy days lol!  Have a great weekend everyone cheers!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Turkeyfan and everone, once I was in the airport and the Stansted end treated like royalty from start to finish.  Just really scary having an armed policeman coming up to the taxi while OH had gone off to find a wheelchair and throw me out of the car. It was all sorted in the end and after that brilliant!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flight available

Started by Harry on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
by Harry
xx
Flight Sale NOW ON!!

Started by Amndwr on Flights and Travel

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 04:36:16 PM
by fidimax
xx
Condor flight

Started by tonye1960 on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 04:18:58 PM
by suziq
xx
Flight cancelled

Started by baclava on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2018, 08:44:51 AM
by Haybo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

The Bergamo 7 @ Kleo

Views: 3150
By: pw
Patara Beach