Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Flight prices...what's all that about ?  (Read 7362 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Flight prices...what's all that about ?
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »
Just thought I would have a look to see if the cost of flights have gone down due to the terrible events of the last few days.....please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to cash in on other peoples loss, just thought what with shares in airlines down as much as 15% ( according to the BBC news ) will they drop prices....well the answer is know, to fly early Aug is still upwards of £400 return, and shite flight times to boot.

But the reason for my post is not the above but, does anyone know why flights with 'stop overs' are Sooooo expensive.....see below...

11h 10
AMS SAW 2 stops
2 stops AMS, SAW
08:10 (+1)
DLM
Partly operated by Pegasus Airlines
Turkish Airlines + British Airways
08:25
DLM 15h 35
IST AMS 2 stops
2 stops IST, AMS
22:00
LGW
£1,789
Select
BudgetAir via Skyscanner
Details
live

£1,789 for 2 stops on the way out and a journey time of 11h 10m, worse on the return flight......what's all that about ???

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12861.0
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Flight prices...what's all that about ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
That is just outrageous,  :o
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:38:37 PM »
I looked at jet 2 a week or so ago because our flight times havent changed yet ( they normally do!) and i priced it up and they were much cheaper than we paid for them when we bought them in april.  Its really annoying as the charged us a small fortune to move the flights by a week aswell.  The also want me to repay to book seats.  Not happy.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
I looked a couple of weeks ago and flights for September and October were really cheap! Seems airlines are still ripping off the poor people who can only go away in the school holidays!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
Most airlines, especially the Budget ones, use the EasyJet/Ryanair model - where the first seats are the cheapest and the last are the most expensive.

Flag Carriers (BA, Turkish, et al) use this model lest rigorously, and hence their lowest prices don't reach the headline prices beloved of some airlines (before you get hit with the add-ons).  That said Monarch in September can be more expensive than BA, before you consider BA's free drinks and food - go figure!

Supply and demand is the real driver - a finite number of seats, against people wanting certain periods; school holidays fill up first as it is a restricted window for the traveller.

That said, some airlines are worse than others for charging a premium during school holidays (not something that affects me as I only holiday when the blighters are back under the care of their teachers  >:D).

As for the flight times, I suspect that the Operations people in the airlines (who schedule where the aircraft) want to get the Spain etc flight turned round first (as they're shorter) before the Eastern Med ones.

It would be nice if they did fly to Dalaman at sensible times a bit more often though!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
Whilst people are discussing flights could someone please remind me about when easyjet will release flights for next October......the early worm and all that! And I think they usually release on Wednesdays??

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
Whilst people are discussing flights could someone please remind me about when easyjet will release flights for next October......the early worm and all that! And I think they usually release on Wednesdays??

Easyjet don't have a set day for releasing their flights, so you have to monitor their site or check in each morning on EK to find out if they have gone on sale. To make matters worse sometimes they release them at 8:00am other times not untill 9:30, and often first on the Android app followed later by the PC and iPhone.

Usually you will get some inkling on EJ and it is worth spending a bit of time and effort as getting in before lunchtime on the release day can save you £100s.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
will be ages before next october flights! they  usually start may flights the first week in september

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »

Have just impulsively booked for this October when found Monarch prices not bad; but discovered they already have May to Oct 2016 available to book & at pretty good prices even for Essentials pack (online check-in, seat selection & 23kg luggage).  Yes if you catch Easyjet in their first few hours of release they'd be cheaper but that'll take being on high alert for a while.  Monarch might be worth a look & have it all done & dusted.  Just thought I'd share  ;D ;)

Lucy Lou

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
We booked some fantastically cheap flights with Easyjet last year, literally half the price of our usual carrier -  I will definitely be looking out for the sale.  For info, it commenced I think on 3  September - so high alert for 2015/16!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 04:06:22 PM »
I'll have to be on "high alert" from September onwards........I tend to check every day but have found that trying to get easyjet alerts never works. This year I saved just over £1000 on 4 flights in May, by booking the day they were released and by changing our dates by one day so the we came back on the Friday of half term! Let's see if I can pull something like that off for next year!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
Monarch do seem reasonable right now...even with 26kg luggage, extra leg room and food they are coming out at around £270 each for June 2016. The easyJet flights for this June cost us £150 each including extra leg room. Once we'd added 2 x 26kg bags the price went up to £227 (no food...). I'm particularly attracted to the flight times...arriving in Kalkan for around 3pm is very appealing...having landed in Dalaman around 10/11pm for the last few years. If I take off food it brings the cost down to £252 and I'm wondering whether the extra £25 each is worth it for the early morning flights  :-\

The easyJet flights for June this year were released in October...8th October to be precise. The Easter flights were released at the beginning of September.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »
We want to fly on the 25th July, not sure when we will be going back so I thought with flights into Dalaman been Sooo expensive let's think out of the box.....so me thinks, I know, let's see how much a one way ticket to Kos is ( thinking a few nights in Kos then ferry to Bodrum, Bodrum to Kalkan, sounds like fun ) wait for it........£469 one way with Thomsom......what's all that about ???

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:34:46 PM by onelove »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »
It's right at the beginning of the School holidays Onelove, always the most expensive time, and at the end too going into September! it really isn't fair how extortionate they are over the summer! We are flying via Istanbul this year, and it worked out a lot cheaper, even though it means 2 flights  >:(

J

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »
Why not check out Jewel in the Crown Flight only deals!!, 7th Aug  14 night return from Gatwick or Manchester to Dalaman RETURN £279.00

Wite Rose TK4637

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »
I realise it's school holiday dates...but come on, crazy prices.

Thanks, I will have a look at...Jewel in the crown.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flight prices

Started by Brooksie on Flights and Travel

65 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 08:29:52 PM
by RosiB
xx
Flight Prices/ Is Kalkan Expensive

Started by alantj on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 01:08:09 PM
by cleworthallray
xx
2017 sept flight prices

Started by brian j p on Flights and Travel

21 Replies
Last post July 31, 2017, 09:08:02 PM
by DRBD
xx
Dalaman Flight Prices for 2010

Started by antler on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 10:15:49 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal