Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Driving in Turkey  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Driving in Turkey
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
Having driven in Turkey on a number of occasions, i''ve got to admit that i am still fairly ignorant of most traffic laws and regulations. I tend to drive very carefully and always err on the cautious side if in doubt. I think it would be a good idea if any of you good people who either live in Kalkan/Turkey, or are more experienced, could give some clear simple guidance, in particular:-
1) What is the National speed limit?
2) What is the speed limit around town?
3) What is the speed limit on say the main road from Dalaman to Kalkan?
4) Now here''s a good one. Just who does have right of way at a roundabout?
5) Drink driving laws.
6) What to do in the event of an accident.
7) What documents do you legally have to carry with you when driving.
8) Any other peculiar traffic laws that are just applicable to Turkey.

My experience of driving in Turkey is that the standard of driving is OK, but there does seem to be a lack of clear road signage. The only place I found a bit hairy was in Bodrum, but then I decided the only way was to drive like one of the locals (just like Hyde Park Corner in the Rush Hour), no problem after that!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1180.0

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Driving in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
There is a good, recent article in Fethiyetimes.com regarding drinking and driving in Turkey expaining the rules and the consequences.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
Hi Pete - a couple of questions - I can answer - the speed limit on the road from Dalaman to kalkan is 90km per hour and is strictly enforced from time to time with radar traps - so beware of them.  Also - you should always carry your driving licence and the documents for your hire car are usually kept above the sun visor...sorry but somebody else will have to help with the other questions..!!

Cheers!

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »
I would suggest that there is no need to beware of radar traps if you do not exceed the speed limit!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »
True.......but you need to know what the speed limit is so that you do not exceed it!

Offline rhythm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
hi pete,
1) National speed limit is 90 km/h but can be exceeded 10%, so you are legally fine upto 99 km/h unless there is a speed restriction signage. That is the same, for instance, from dalaman to kalkan.. But the road from dalamn to kalkan goes through some villages and towns, you know, where you will see signage of 50 or 70 although the road is very wide and straight. Drivers, although very rarely, get fined for exceeding the speed limits shown on these signages.
2) Speed limit in town is 40 km/h.
4) When you come to a roundabout, check your right, if any vehicles approaching on the right, they have got the right of the way.. You have got the right of the way to the vehicles on the left.
5) The legal limit for alcohol is 50 promils which means a large beer, a glass of wine or raki etc. Some friends recently had trouble of what is called "mouth alcohol", which means, if you drink and blow into that alcohol-check machine in less than 45 mins-1hour after you finished your drink, it might indicate upto 90-100 promils although you had just one glass.
6) In an event of an accident, call the police or local jandarma straight away for the accident report. You have got the right of checking the driving license of the opposite side of the accident. However, if the acc. is obviously other side''s mistake, they may try to run away. Don''t get yourself in trouble and simply get the plate number. This is gonna turn back to them as a bigger fine.
7) You have to have your driving license, papers of the car and rental contract in case of renting a car.

A serious warning to all EK members: Traffic police from Kas is regularly visiting Kalkan now, they have strictly fined drivers without driving license and motorbikers without helmets all through winter. I am sure you will be surprised when you see every motorbike rider wears a helmet in kalkan now   O0 Always ask for helmet if you are renting a scooter and dont even attemp unless you have motorbike riding license which has got to be the equal of Class A2 in turkey. Safe journey everyone..........

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »
you should also carry your licence with you in the car all the time. if stopped without your licence your car may well be held by the police until you can produce one, as happened to me once.
the traffic police were by the sevil/tesko roundabout yesterday and just in the short time i walked by i saw 3 people fined - no helmuts, talking on mobile phone whilst driving, random parking, they are definately cracking down.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »
Hi Rhythm,

Many thanks for your excellent reply, I was starting to think that no one who looks at this Site actually drives!!!
Just to clarify one thing. You say that you give way to the right on a roundabout, so you actually give way to the traffic joining the roundabout? The opposite of here in the UK.
Very interesting about the traffic Police cracking down on things, just like here!!
Is there anywhere left on this Planet where someone is''nt trying to stick a Fine on you. Just wait till Turkey actually gains membership of the EU!!

Thanks again,

Pete

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »
my trips to Kalkan are one of the times i actually look forward to NOT driving...everday i sit in traffic on the M27 amongst traffic cones in what is now a giant car park..when i do actually crawl along at a pace no faster than a speeding snail..i see Big Yellow Cameras that work out my average speed with the intent of fining me if i go above 50...perhaps if i was driving at 2 in the morning this would be possible...when i leave the M27 i then sit in traffic on the A32  for anything up to an hour!!..this is to continue till september!!..i look forward to doing no driving whatsoever and Mr Dolmus man can do all mine for me  ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 08:36:18 PM »
Perhaps someone can clarify a point I read somewhere - that if there are passengers in the car, the driver is not allowed to have any alcohol?

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:54:37 PM »
A very important point, if you are involved in an accident to which the police have been called ( and they are usually called no matter how minor) You must not, under any circumstances move your car, until the police arrive and give you permission to do so. It doesn''t matter if the car is blocking the road, it must not be moved. There is a stiff fine for doing so and you may invalidate your insurance claim if you move your car without police permission as they will not then sign the accident report.

Lantana

Offline rhythm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »
         that''s right lantana. you mustn''t move your car even if you blocked the road until police or jandarma arrives. About the roundabouts, pete, yes you give way to the traffic joining the roundabout on the right-hand side.. of course, if it is still at a safe distance and indicates no risk with its speed etc., you can carry on and take the way.. In case of head to head accidents at a roundabout, the car joining the roundabout on the left side of the other car is 8/8 guilty.

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 08:08:04 AM »
According to another Kalkan forum, Turkey has "lots of scary drivers and they are apt to a spot of drinking and driving".  I''m sure this post was based on well researched facts by the person responsible!

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »
A few years back I drove from Kalkan to Bodrum. I remember being overtaken by a car going very fast with the driver looking at the roof pouring what looked like a bottle of Raki down his throat!!!! He was all over the road and only just avoided a head on collision with another car. Best thing to do is just hold back and let them get on their way.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Driving in Turkey

Started by Bobbie on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 10:06:00 PM
by Em1
xx
Driving in Turkey.

Started by LancashireLass on Flights and Travel

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 06:23:37 PM
by LancashireLass
xx
Licence required for driving in Turkey

Started by Becs_matt on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 09:13:41 AM
by Lou
xx
IDP (International Driving Permit) for non photo licence holders in Turkey

Started by Brooksie on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 08:08:13 PM
by rat2

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal