Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Dalaman to Kalkan by car.  (Read 6896 times)

Offline cactusmal

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Dalaman to Kalkan by car.
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
Hi all, could anyone tell me the driving time from Dalaman  to Kalkan, I will be arriving at the airport (hopefully) on a Monday, in July at about noon.
Also how is the traffic likely to be ie busy .... mad.... manic.. I have driven in quite a few European countries so can I ask if there is any local hints or anything unusual I should look out for.
And lastly  for now, could anyone recommend somewhere to stop for lunch on the way to Kalkan.
Cheers.....

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7919.0

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
Re: Dalaman to Kalkan by car.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
The drive will take between 90 mins and 2 hours. Take it easy, the road is pretty good but there are some tricky bits!
One word of advice - DO NOT have a drink at the airport or on the plane. There is zero tolerance to drinking & driving in Turkey and there is a pretty high chance that you will be pulled by the traffic cops on the way (there is a spot just before  you turn right onto the D400 where they wait and they seem to flag cars in randomly) The got me last year for not having the headlights on in broad daylight. 60TL ticket and then an interrogation about whether I'd been drinking. I hadn't but it took a bit of convincing them.
Expect the road to be busy with heavy traffic including slow,tomato laden lorries. There are ample opportunities to overtake - just be patient.
There's plenty of advice on here and KLTN about driving. I'd suggest you have a look.
Hope this helps.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
Cactusmal....If you go back to the main EK page scroll down, right hand side and click onto kalkan maps and Directions the route from Dalaman plus some handy info comes up if you haven't seen it? ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:22:43 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
I always drive from Dalaman to Kalkan. The roads are good and quiet, especially on the last stretch after bypassing Fethiye. Watch your speed, don't go much above 90kph. I was stopped for this just after the Gocek tunnel. As for places to stop, most of the garages have some sort of refreshment area and all have toilets. If you want something more, try Calis (pronounced Chalis). It's only about 10min diversion off main road. To get there, after entering village of Ciflik take right turn (before the blue bridge). Turn left at roundabout and drive on until you reach traffic lights. Turn right and there are several good priced restaurants.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »
I always drive. I know about the zero tolerance to drink driving, but I was surprised at the comment above about having to have your headlights on during daylight hours. I have not heard this before. Is it a new law? Or were the police making it up!!

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
It's not a new law as far as I know.........Tourists are easy targets though and I do believe that some of the traffic cops prey on people driving hire cars. They certainly don't seem too concerned by the wrecks that many of the locals drive.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
Our advice is to always drive defensively. By this we mean that you should never assume that the other cars are going to obey the rules at roundabouts, junctions, etc and watch for cars/bikes at the side of the road just pulling out into the traffic flow.
We both drive in Turkey and find it much easier than many other countries. The road from the airport is very simple straight route with just a couple of right hand turns and very moderate traffic levels but we agree with the advice re speed limits as we also have been stopped for speeding (only just) at 4am on the way to the airport. You also need to carry your documents and rental papers at all times when driving.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »
I too, got a fine for speeding on the way back to the airport last year. I was very aware about the speed limits and also about the police waiting between the Gocek tunnel and the roundabout on the D400 to the airport. I know I was not speeding but I still got pulled over and fined, they were very nice about it, but told me they were happy to keep me there all day talking about it, in the full knowledge that I had to check in and catch a flight!! No option pay up and go!!
Its a new one to me that they are pulling over drivers who have just arrived. Thats why I asked about having to have your lights on during daylight hours, as I will be going in a couple of weeks time and don't want to get stopped before my holiday has even started. I have had a look on the internet and the only thing I can find says that you should turn your lights on if the light level is poor. I cannot find anything about it being compulsory.
So the question again, Is it compulsory to turn your lights on during daylight hours no matter what the light level is?

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
I have never had my lights on in broad daylight. They would be stopping nearly every car if that were the case. Sounds like a bit of a scam. There must be ways of challenging these. Generally I've heard that they allow 10% over the speed limit i.e. 99kph before they will stop you. They said I was doing 100kph when I was stopped. I didn't ask to see the evidence but perhaps I should. Anyway, it a 100TL+ fine with discount i paid within certain number of days. I paid at the PTT in Kalkan. 

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »
And another warning - IF you hire a minibus - take care and adopt a lower speed limit of 80kph.  Apparently it is arbitrary as to whether the speed limit is lower for minibuses - at 80 or 85 or 88....anyway we were not told about this when we rented the minibus and I got pulled and done for doing 91kph - the police said that the limit was 80 + 10 grace and I was 3kph over so got done 100tl too!!!!  >:(
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
Yes, I heard that too Felicity. And I think the definition of a minibus includes people carriers such as Renault Kangoo. Just be more cautious on the road from the airport till the main roundabout after bypassing Fethiye. After there to Kalkan I don't think I've seen the police at all.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
I've seen two spots this side of the Fethiye turn-off where the police have been doing document checks, so look out for oncoming traffic flashing their headlights as a warning

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
I think you have had nearly all of your questions answered. 

You also asked about a place to stop for lunch.  Depends how adventurous you are but along the D400 maybe 30 kms from the airport on the right hand side is parking area overlooking Katrina Bay (I think that is the name).  There is a yellow kebab van there with a tin chimney sticking out the roof.  Great food (simple kofte, ayran...), and great views.  The bay has a number of islands and often has sailing boats.  In fact the bay is worth a visit - there are a couple roads down there before and after the parking/kebab stop.  I took some friends down to the bay once on the way back to Dalaman and it is a lovely low-key tourist area, shallow beach too.  Anyway, kofte was about £1 and even though the seating is basic (!) it is all about the quality of the food and the views.  A great intro to a holiday in Kalkan in my view.

On the way back, I have also driven into Dalaman and had a very nice, basic meal for next to nothing compared to the ridiculous prices charge for not very good food at the airport.  Just take a left at the roundabout about 2 kms from the airport - where the bus station is.

Enjoy your holiday

Mark
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline cactusmal

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
Hello All, many thanks for the info, the police seem very "keen", so I will keep my eyes open.
Regards to all.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
Ticket forr sale. Norwich/Dalaman return Dalaman/Stanstead

Started by nr1stu on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 04:50:43 PM
by nr1stu
lamp
Dalaman to Kalkan 28/12/17 & Kalkan to Dalaman 4/1/18

Started by pw on Arrange a Transfer Share

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2017, 07:55:59 PM
by pw
xx
Dalaman - Kalkan

Started by alshepuk on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 11:42:25 AM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Market Day

Views: 3597
By: misty
Meis