Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Car hire recommendations  (Read 5499 times)

Offline distalbans

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Car hire recommendations
« on: August 04, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
Hi,
Have always used Kalkan car hire companies in the past with no problems at all.  However it seems a lot cheaper to hire from a Dalaman company - even those that include Collision Damage Waiver insurance.  Does anyone know why this is?  Am I missing something?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13453.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Car hire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
Is the answer we are getting ripped off by Kalkan car hire company's ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
We have had a hire car 3 times a year for the last 11 years and have hired in the past from Dalaman companies.

It was always cheaper but then a couple of times we were charged for 'damage' we hadn't done. On one occasion we were handing over outside departures and he immediately dropped to the ground at the front of the vehicle and said we had caused 'damage'. My husband got down to have a look and way back, totally out of view unless you were lying on the floor was some scratching. He then wanted cash from us and if we didn't pay he would charge much more to our credit card. We said while we had checked the car when we got it we hadn't lay down on the floor to look underneath and amazingly it was the first thing he did! He knew that was there and I wonder how many other people had paid for that same 'damage'. We hadn't driven the car anywhere that could have caused the damage. On another occasion no car was waiting for us, and sometimes the car wasn't very good.

Since then we've used Enes in Kalkan every time, no credit card taken, a very relaxed attitude, 100% reliable and once when we had a problem with a car on the country inland road to Kas they came to us immediately and swapped the car. I have to say we have rented a car from them at least 20+ times and that was the only time we had a problem. If it had been a Dalaman company how long would we have waited for someone to arrive, especially as we were on a quiet remote road which I was struggling to describe, no one passed us before they arrived?

Sometimes initial cost isn't the only thing to consider.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »
We like the personal touch too. We have rented off brave tours in the past which were reliable and found us a car when no one else could due to high season but since Alper started Ege rentals, we have been loyal to him. Superb personal service and competitive prices. At first not the fanciest of cars as he was just starting up, but they are more plush now and we feel safe that we will be well looked after.  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:31:13 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »
I agree with Kalkan Regular.  If something goes wrong I want to know it can be rectified immediately.  Have been renting of Brave Tours for many years and personally wouldn't go past them.  They also offer a driver service to and from the airport, very welcome especially after a long flight and if landing late into Dalaman. Very professional service.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
We have been renting 2 or 3 times a year from the Dalaman companies for 12 years now and have never had a problem (beyond getting the locally produced "equivalent" of the car you ordered).

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:44:40 AM »
We have been renting 2 or 3 times a year from the Dalaman companies for 12 years now and have never had a problem (beyond getting the locally produced "equivalent" of the car you ordered).

How much do you pay for your hire car from Dalaman....per day ? Per week ?  What size car ?

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:04 AM »
Also a shout out for Alper at Egerentals most obliging man who is always so polite and will bend over backwards to help you, we have used him several times lately and wouldn't go anywhere else he deserves every bit of business. I also believe we should be supporting local businesses even if you do pay a little bit more, times are hard for these little businesses and you can't beat having it on your doorstep with a personal touch.

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:25:19 AM »
Ozgur at Define & also Alper at Ege, both good reliable local businesses & both so helpful.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »

How much do you pay for your hire car from Dalaman....per day ? Per week ?  What size car ?

It depends on the time of year, in April we paid £95 for 9 days hire, in July 8-24th we paid £200.

We use economycarerentals.com to book. 

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:13:59 PM »
The best of the best is Ozgur at Define Tours in the marina, also on website.  Have tried Dalaman car hire many times in past and had trouble twice so switched to locals.  Tried Ege and Adda, also had some inconveniences.  Since finding Define some years ago, we always use them 4-6x /yr.  Never had any problem.  Good price, good cars, excellent personalized service.  Would never switch.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »
Great value alantj.

We have also used Dalaman car hire company's in the past, a good few years ago I might add. All things considered we always use a (independent) Kalkan car hire / transfer company for All the reasons already stated, but, mostly to support local business's. They need it more so this year than any I can remember that's for sure.

Offline distalbans

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 11:47:53 AM »
Thanks to you all for your helpful comments.  I have been quoted £15/day by Dalaman car rentals plus £3 to cover windscreen, headlights etc. damage excess.  This is significantly cheaper than most other places and their reviews seem good - but I can't help wondering if there's a catch...   I've always in the past used Adda or Enes and paid between £22 and £28 for a fairly basic car - never had any probs and as you all say - it's supporting a local business plus if you have a problem they're close at hand.   I think I'll be doing the same again this year  :)

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »
If your looking for car hire from the airport you go a long way to beat www.economycarentals.com on price.   They just put the business out to tender to all the car hire places in Dalaman airport.  Never had a problem when we've used them.  Had various hire  company's, all fine but of course your not supporting local people in Kalkan.

Offline Faywray

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 11:57:16 PM »
We have used Dalaman car rental for the past 3 years ( and again in 4 weeks ) never had a problem. £130 for 10 days including full comp insurance for a Peugeot 207 9th - 19th Sept. Always been efficient and decent cars .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Car Hire - recommendations please

Started by Pete W on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 03, 2023, 09:36:06 AM
by Pete W
xx
Any recommendations?

Started by nickandjustine on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

18 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 09:18:22 PM
by nickandjustine
xx
Looking for a recommendations for.....

Started by EdgarHarrison on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 01:56:04 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Jeweller recommendations please

Started by Lizilu20 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2014, 11:17:25 AM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Saklikent

Views: 3494
By: jofoss
Heart on the beach sunset