Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antalya Airport???  (Read 2585 times)

Offline ShazzaA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Antalya Airport???
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
Hi

Hope someone can help!

We're just planning our trip to Kalkan for next October.  My hubby wondered about flying into Antalya instead of Dalaman.  Has anyone done it, and if so would you recommend it for a family of four with two kids aged 10 and 8?

Lord only knows why he's suggesting it  ::) - maybe the cold is already getting to him!

Many thanks in advance

Shazza

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10252.0

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
Re: Antalya Airport???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:51:44 PM »
I did it once - only because I went out for new year and dates/times (and possibly overall price) worked out best.  However, it took almost four hours each way in the middle of the night and would only use it as a last resort - unless you particularly wanted to build in part of your visit to Antalya or the surrounding area.  In which case it might be good - I believe the journey is beautiful if you can stop on the way (or even see it!)  As you say Shazza, Lord knows why - unless he's found a cheap flight!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
We used Antalya when we used the scheduled BA flights there.

We chose them because of the appalling flights we'd had on TC, and couldn't stand it anymore.  The surprising feature was that BA worked out cheaper!  The service, luggage allowance and crew attitude made it even more worthwhile.

To the point though, The journey to and from Antalya is tedious and doesn't exactly excite.  Coming from Antalya was always in the dark, so we never saw the scenery, and the journey over the mountains wasn't exactly brisk, and always as dusk.  Once or twice, I'm sure the driver was going slower and slower because he was so tired.

The Airport is fine, but busier than Dalaman, and seems to have a large number of Russians and Eastern European passengers - not that this is a problem, just an observation; you may also notice issues at Duty Free and Security due to language difficulties.  Once again just an observation.

It is a long journey, and leaving Kalkan 6-7 hours before your flight, may make you wish you'd not done it from Antalya.  The stop, in the mountains can be a small service station with minimal facilities, but if you're happy with a bottle of cola and a packet of crisps, then it'll be OK.  There won't be much else apart from the two or three locals drinking coffee or tea and smoking.

Fortunately, now we've got Monarch to Dalaman, so the hour and a half journey via the tunnel is, much, much better!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
We had to use Antalya for our visit in Jan this year, but the TC flight was fine.   I agree about the transfer, combined with an indecent check-in time at Gatwick, the flight and the journey to Kalkan, a whole day and part of the evening is lost >:D >:D     Return was fine, during the day and interesting to see the spectacular scenery en route.  The airport was fairly quiet, probably due to time of year!!!!   But for a seven day break (which we were on), 2 days are effectively lost!!!!  And also the transfer costs are far more than from Dalaman.   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
antalya airport

Started by martin danielle on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 08:27:58 AM
by The Engineer
xx
Antalya airport

Started by fidimax on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 05:16:05 PM
by kalkan wife
xx
Security at Antalya airport

Started by Tatilde on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 04:52:03 PM
by Tatilde
xx
Transfer from Antalya Airport

Started by sue dixon on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 04:37:42 PM
by sue dixon

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 3441
By: shining-one
EnjoyKalkan meet