Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Cooking in or Eating Out?  (Read 9422 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Cooking in or Eating Out?
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
There are lots of differing opinions about which restaurants are better than others, but what percentage of meals do we all cook or eat in rather than eating out at the fabulous restaurants on offer in Kalkan?
If cooking in your villa or apartment, do you tend to cook English or try out Turkish recipes with the great fresh ingredients on offer?
Jayne

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11219.0

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: Cooking in or Eating Out?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
We usually eat out every night if we are with friends, but as we stay in Kalkan for six weeks at a time, we tend to eat in one night and eat out the next.
I enjoy cooking and make both English and Turkish meals. Sea bass wrapped in a banana leaf and cooked on the barbecue was very good.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »
Hi Jayne,
We mostly cook breakfasts, lunch and BBQ while on holiday. Breakfasts can be anything from cereal, continental type - I love mixing the Turkish feta style cheese with chopped olives, thyme, garlic, olive oil, chilli powder and cumin and spreading it on crusty bread or toast. It's really good, we also do chucky (boiled) eggs and sometimes a full English type, made with illicit sausages and bacon brought from home. Lunches usually consist of bread, cheese, salad, Turkey ham etc, delicious fruit and nibbles e.g. olives, crisps, nuts. If we have a late breakfast, we don't bother with lunch and vice versa.
If we stay in for lunch, we go out at night. When we BBQ, we buy meat from the butcher e.g. kofte, steak, chicken sis, lamb chops, boneless thighs. I usually make a marinade, and make ezme and cacik to accompany. Sometimes we do sea bass and wedges which I coat in oil, sumac, cumin and rosemary, before cooking in the oven with roasted garlic. I guess we try and keep to a Mediterranean style, although grandma babs did us a mean corned beef hash for dinner after our boat trip last year!
Do you plan to do much cooking this year? We will have to combine our skills while we are both there this year and have a BBQ together  8) :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:00:42 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
Hmmmmm........my idea of self catering is slicing some gorgeous fresh Turkish bread to have with cheese, tomatoes etc Turkish style for breakfast.....and maybe boiling a kettle occasionally! Have to say last we went as a couple we didn't even get our own breakfasts.....we went out every day! Probably why we are going b+b this year! Lizilu......your BBQ ideas had my mouth watering though!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:30 PM »
OOh Lizilu you are on our wavelength. Hope we can get together for some yummy food at some point. Our maimstays are lunches, we always aim to eat in once a day! Lamb meatballs with rice salad and tzatziki, tuna salad, roasted veggies with rice or pasta, chicken with veg and rice, prawns with salad etc etc, all accompanied by wine, laughter and Scrabble. Love it. Would anyone like to join us?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »
Sounds wonderful skunk! It's a date  ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
Lizzie, your feta and olives dish on toast sounds divine, Bob says that is a must for him to try out. You are such an accomplished cook, your menus sounds amazing. 

We love to visit the greengrocers and buy all the different vegetables and salads that are not so readily available here, or definitely not as good.  We also love the fresh herbs that are on offer too.  We are limited for cooking this year, as only in the apartment for a few days, but we will definitely make up for it next year.   But a BBQ would be really good fun, and don't forget we also have the Oakheart to try!!!

Skunk - as you know we have sampled your lamb kofte and tzatziki, which was amazing, but sadly we didn't get to finish the scrabble, but hopefully we will this year!!!

Jayne

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
omg.....do you want a job Lizilu 20, sounds amazing   :o
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
Aww, thanks guys.  :-*
Don't be too hasty with your praise though, you haven't tasted it yet  ;D ;D,
Onelove, if we run short on holiday spends, I'll knock up a dish for you at tanzore and you can pay me in wine and Efes for OH!  ;D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
Deal  ;) 8) ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cooking Facilities

Started by jinfizzz on General Discussion

37 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 10:45:50 AM
by felicity
xx
Turkish cooking lessons

Started by onelove on Cooking

0 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
by onelove
xx
Turkish Cooking Lesson

Started by kalkan4eva on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 09:12:37 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Guru's Place cooking school

Started by Kalkankt on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 07:26:01 PM
by JayneyG

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Boat back to Patara.JPG

Views: 3508
By: Jane
Guess Where?