Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for a garage or a safe parking space  (Read 6083 times)

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Looking for a garage or a safe parking space
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »
Hello to everyone,

I have a boat which wish to move to Kalkan and I am looking for a garage or a safe parking space. The boat and its trailer are m.6.20 length and m.1.6 wide. It needs less than two small cars space or about 10 sq. m.

Thanks.
Regards
Sal

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11752.0

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
Re: Looking for a garage or a safe parking space
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:03 PM »
i keep my boat (8.5m) near the coast guard station on trailer. For last three years nothing was stolen. Also, i can recommend few guys in marina who will look after your boat and take care about her.

Second option: Enes rent-a-car office/parking on kalamar road. They are usually very friendly, and can allow your boat to stay safe there.  Expect very reasonable price or even free of charge.

Where you will keep her in season? in marina or moored next to kalamar beach?   

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »
Thank you very much Satovod,

I intend to leave the boat mostly in the parking space the whole year and moored in the marina when I am in Kalkan. This means about 3-4 weeks per year moored and the rest on its trailer parked. I asked to Kalkan marina mooring costs, which looked expensive for a RIB. They didn't speak English but gave me a printed price list. I then asked to local residents and I was told that costs were for boats on transit only. Local residents and tourists who live there pay less. I never leave my boat moored ashore for more than two weeks with no plan of sailing. The hull starts to have sediments, algaes and barnacles difficult to get rid off.

Cheers
Sal

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
year contract for your boat will be around 800-1000tl, water and electric is extra.

local fisherman cooperative, who own half of marina, can ask for some fee to use a slip, if you are foreigher. 20-50tl. I never paid anything, but i gave my share when they collect money for slip upgrade.

Tracktor for launch/pick-up cost about 80-100tl.
The main problem on slip is that it usually blocked by parked cars and fishermans boats. So, you need to come very early (5-6a.m.) to launch her.

Fuel filling in marina is oficially prohibited, but eveyone use their jerrycans anyway ). Just be carefull to avoid fuel spills on water.

A good antifouling coat - 300-400tl, usually enough to keep algae away for a few month.

btw, what flag will be on your boat? how you pass customs formalities?

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »
It seems reasonable. The locals gave me about the same cost.

I saw the slip blocked when I was there and often throughout the whole day. Thanks for your suggestion.

I have an homemade pump, which works with the on board 12V. power plug. It works well and refuel with no spillage.

Currently my boat is in Greece. I am carefully reading your suggestions before moving it to Kalkan. I have no experience about Turkey and try to know as much as I can about the regulations. I will attend a RYA sailing license training in Marmaris next April and I will try to pass all customs formalities once I disembark from the Ferry in Fethyie. I am a British resident and have double British/Italian nationalities. The boat was purchased in Italy and my guess is that the flag can be either British or Italian. I read that fuel might have lower duty for foreigners but I didn't believe it much. I will also need a boat insurance and a Suzuki engine service, all things and pain which you endure have when own a boat  :(

Sal

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
Think twice before you bring boat here. Customs formalities when you bring boat on ferry is a nightmare in compare then you come by the sea.
"land" customs can ask to clear it as a goods and you will face a full customs fee. it is about 50-60% of retail price of new boat and engine.

another option is to keep boat on transit log (any foreign flag), you can stay up to 5 years and renew transit log every year. It cost 30-40tl.  After 5 year you need to cross border again (a trip to Rhodes for example). and this way you will not pay customs fees/VAT etc.  200-300tl total. BUT check twice how your boat will cross turkish border. I can suggest to call BluesYachting (http://www.bluesyachting.com/en/) in Gocek (100km from Kalkan). they are really nice guys, and can help you with all paper work (just tell them that you need to bring a RIB from Greece, open a transit log and submit for a insurance card). Also, they are one of the best boat technical service and can do anything about service/maintenance.

Duty free fuel  - is not about us (small boats). forget about it )

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
What I can write here? THANK YOU in upper case? In bold? With emoticons?
These information are not written in anywhere. I will follow your advise and contact the company in the link attached. I will contact you once I am in Kalkan. I owe you a good drink!  :)

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »
Think twice before you bring boat here. Customs formalities when you bring boat on ferry is a nightmare in compare then you come by the sea.
"land" customs can ask to clear it as a goods and you will face a full customs fee. it is about 50-60% of retail price of new boat and engine.

another option is to keep boat on transit log (any foreign flag), you can stay up to 5 years and renew transit log every year. It cost 30-40tl.  After 5 year you need to cross border again (a trip to Rhodes for example). and this way you will not pay customs fees/VAT etc.  200-300tl total. BUT check twice how your boat will cross Turkish border. I can suggest to call BluesYachting (http://www.bluesyachting.com/en/) in Gocek (100km from Kalkan). they are really nice guys, and can help you with all paper work (just tell them that you need to bring a RIB from Greece, open a transit log and submit for a insurance card). Also, they are one of the best boat technical service and can do anything about service/maintenance.

Duty free fuel  - is not about us (small boats). forget about it )

Satovod,

I am working on it and following your good suggestions.

A new problem has surfaced and I would like to use your knowledge and experience, if you don't mind.
The initial feedback which I received from a Turkish boat insurer is that they refuse insurance to foreign citizens, unless they have a Turkish residence and tax code. Where did you get your boat insurance? The same problem I guess will come up with the car. I read something about changing car plate registration from British to Turkish plate in one of the forums. However I now wonder if I will face the same problem. How did you manage to insure your car and boat?

Thanks.
Sal

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59:41 PM »
boat insurance:  my boats insured here - ERGO www.ergoturkiye.com  BUT, once again, find some locals who will help you with customs formalities. BluesYachting for example (i gave you contacts before). Do not even try to make it by yourself for a first time. This is Turkey. Did you decide what flag will you use on your boat? For coast guard and marinas all you need is oil spill insurance and 3rd party liability insurance. For under 10m boats it about 300-400usd per year.

Car:   To be honest, best solution is to sell your car where it now, and buy a new in Turkey. Prices here really mad, but you will have no headarche with customs/traffic police etc.  Restictions and formalites for foreign cars is terrible. I brought my Mercedes-one years ago, actually, pass through customs and the border was not so difficult, except that in the passport they put a note that you can not leave the country without exporting the car, or your should leaving it in the parking at the Customs office during your absence. Also, expect no service, no spareparts from stock, no international warranty for "foreign" cars.
Also, you can keep foreign car in turkey just 6 month in year and after you should get it out borders and cannot return for next 6 month. In my case i just bring another car, but anyway, it is too dificult than to buy a local Nissan Navara )

"Blue Plates" - cars that pass borders without taxes for "yabancis" - everybody have read about them in internet, but nobody seen in real life. Just forget about it.

There is an option to pay all taxes and get turkish title for the car. Ask any used car trader in instanbul (a lot of them on sahibinden.com), they will take 500-1000usd commission, but will do everything right and quick. Do you like your car SO much?

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
Boat insurance.
I already contacted BluesYachting and got their assistance for the boat importation only but their insurance refused to insure my boat, unless I have a Resident Permit and an ID Tax code. I double checked and this seems confirmed in other forums, The regulation changed few months ago and you can't buy an insurance as foreign resident. This suggests that I can also face the same problem with buying a Turkish car, but I will follow your advise once again and see with a local dealer. I already have a UK car and no intention to import it in Turkey because has not the tow bar or hook hitch. The car is needed due to the transportation of the boat from Greece to Turkey and for berthing the boat in the marina or take it out ashore, otherwise I don't really need any car.
Thanks
Sal

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
travel from greece to kalkan its about ±1000km.  I dont belive that your trailer will pass this distance without failure. and i dont belive that you will pass land customs on turkish border. Forget about this plan, and send boat by ferry.

If you need need a car just to bring boat from Izmir/marmaris (or any port here around on southwest coast) we can use my nissan navara OR ask Blues, they can send their truck to bring it.  In my case, i pick up boat from ferry in Izmir and pass the way to kalkan by the sea. It is a great journey and lot of fun (and a lot of fuel too, but who cares).

About insurance. Go to delreg.com, open a company in delaware, register your boat on it (all costs about 300euro total). No taxes, no headache with insurance, no question from coastguard. Ideal flag solution for turkey. If you take a look to any turkish marina, a half of all private boats fly US flag. mine too. 

PM me your skype

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
Satovod,

I will send you my Skipe contact via private message as I am confused, not because I don't understand you, but because it;s a complex matter. Other people in this forum might be not interested to this topic and perhaps it's better we switch on the private communication.
Thanks.
Sal

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
btw, if you will have your own transit log and contract with marina, you can get residence permit (ikamet). it is a good solution with visa, you will able to stay in turkey any time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Falling Space Debris!!

Started by Blue Lizard on The Everything Else Area!

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 06:17:07 PM
by Potter
xx
The garage with swimming pool

Started by phil3 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 10:23:30 PM
by clara48
xx
Wanted - small area of storage space in central Kalkan

Started by Christina on Classifieds - Wanted

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 10:16:36 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Parking

Started by Kalkan-Fan on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 11:45:55 PM
by Cheesecake

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan kittens

Views: 3355
By: saskia
Kalkan