Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: selling in Kalkan  (Read 38163 times)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
selling in Kalkan
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
Hi all,
I know this is unthinkable to many of you, and indeed I do still love Kalkan, however we are going to sell our apartment and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good agent.
Many thanks
Lorretta.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=475.0

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Re: selling in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:14:30 PM »
We bought through 2blacklions and found Bridget to be very good, giving us what with hindsight proved to be good advice and a realistic view of the market. We were, to put it mildly, less impressed by some of others we contacted. 

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:28:50 PM »
Hi Alan,
thanks for that. I have heard some good things about Bridget so we will check it out when we go back in September. There seem to be a lot of people "dabbling" in real estate which is why I posted on this subject.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:25 PM »
Lorretta  - Another one to try is Express Homes along the Kalamar Road, where you will find either Karyn or Jo or both.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »
Hi Lorretta
Karyn at Express homes is very good,we purchased our apartment through her.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »
Kemal at Mavi Estates is a great person to deal with. He will go that bit further for you and he is also a good photographer and will get the best out of your place. Sorry to hear you''re selling but best of luck.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your help and recommendations. Although we are selling we will still go back to Kalkan, try keeping me away! Plus all my family are converts too. I think we need a bigger place to accomodate them all!  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:18 PM »
ever thought about long term let?i think if and when we move out to kalkan we will rent a place first,that way we don''t burn our bridges and can see what it''s like all year round..friends of ours have rented a place for three years with an option to extend if they don''t buy a place of there own... ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:58:11 PM »
I think that is very good advice for anyone think of making a permanent move, even if it is just over the "close" season to see whether it is still the place for you when the resort is quiet, but the building/ normal village life is going on.

Offline Diane

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Living in Kalkan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:42:57 PM »
Lorretta
It MAY be that I am looking for a long term let from November. Might you be seriously considering letting rather than sellling?

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
I would be interested to hear if any forum members have actually managed to sell a property in Kalkan.  We hear (and see) so much about unsold villas and apartments that the ease (or otherwise) of reselling must be a serious consideration for those yet to take the plunge and buy in Kalkan.  Any feedback on how long it took to sell, costs of selling and time taken to find that elusive buyer would be welcome.  It would be interesting to know if anyone actually sold at a profit too!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »
Two of the apartments at the Korsan sold very quickly. Both the owners were emigrating. Cannot comment on profits. I think the convenience to town and the on site facilities helped.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 08:12:17 AM »
Last year we rented our village apartment to a couple who wanted to buy in Kalkan but who had very sensibly decided to stay here long term first to see if it really was for them. They arrived in November and in May started to look for property.

By then they knew all the pros (and cons) of each area, had had a chance to look at dozens of properties over a period of several months, had used the time  to compare what you got for your money with different builders and finally, after lots of research, bought a duplex apartment with wonderful views in Kalamar Bay which they had watched being constructed all winter.

There are a lot of unsold properties on the market at the moment and this is the prime time for prospective buyers to come out to view, so we will not really know until the end of December how well the property market is doing.

From what we have seen in the last year, it is very difficult to resell older properties unless they are priced realistically. By older I mean built before 2004. At that time, in many complexes, the standard of fixtures and fittings were not high and the use of space not nearly as good as it is in many of the newer properties. Many of these properties now look rather run down and need money spent on them to bring them up to standard.

We know of an older, 2 bedroom  apartment bought in 2001 for £40,000, which the owner now wants to sell for £80,000. This is a very unrealistc price and it won''t sell.

Newer properties are showing a  15 - 20% profit over 2- 3 years. Older properties  will show a much higher profit margin because they were originally bought so cheaply. So the £40,00 apartment would sell if priced at £55,000, which would be almost a 40% growth, not bad considering the owners have  also rented it out for the past 6 years.

If properties are realistically priced and in a good location, they sell within 3 months of going on the market. If they have a poor location, or are overpriced
( and all potential buyers now do hours of internet searches before coming here so are aware of prices) they can be still be unsold eighteen months after going on the market.

There are still some buyers who purchase within a few days of arriving here, having done no homework at all ( we did just that but that was 8 years ago and the market is very different now) but the majority know exactly what they are looking for and how much they are prepared to pay.
 Lantana

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
to add to the Estate agents debate - I would recommend Blacklion and Xpress homes Karyn but (I''m sorry Brooksie) but I can''t recommend Kemal at Mavi...thoroughly bad experience with him and can''t trust him..I know there has been some debate on this subject (or maybe the TA forum ???) a while back...but it is a bit like the restaurant debate - what works for some people doesn''t for others..!!  So I think I would go with the majority on recommendations..!!  There are certainly a lot of people dabbling - along with every waiter and taxi driver..!! 

Lantana - yes it will be interesting to see if any of these unsold properties go in this selling season (I must admit that I didn''t know this was prime time!!) - I looked in February - 45 villas in 1 week -phew - before I narrowed it down to 2!!!  And winter is a great time to do that - see if you really like Kalkan in the winter - I know I do!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 02:05:06 PM »
Felicity, I agree with your comments about Mavi.

By way of example, if you look on their website you will see a property under Luxury Villas advertised for sale at £329K, when we were in Kalkan recently, they showed it to us and told us the asking price was £375K!!!! I wonder where the £46K difference would have ended up?

Dealing with them was somewhat like playing a game of Poker with a bad hand, all bluff and bulls---. When asked about rental potential the answer was, "you will get £2k or maybe even £3K a week for this Villa, no problem". What really annoyed me was the fact that they really seemed to think we were that stupid we would actually believe this. I was left with the feeling that they viewed us simply as stupid rich foreigners. The other thing I cannot get my head around, is why both the buyer and seller have to pay the Estate Agent 3% commission each. When property was a lot cheaper maybe they could justify this percentage, but when you are asking UK prices it is now quite ridiculous. I also find it strange that all property prices are quoted in Sterling and have to be paid in Sterling, in most other countries the local currency is quoted.

I too wonder what the resale market is going to be like in Kalkan, as I feel that many of the properties are badly built, are too crammed in and people have paid over the odds for them. The other factor is that most people looking to buy now all want that dream of a brand new property.

If you bought a few years ago and bought at the right price, in the right place, you will probably make money when you sell. You will also be able to charge less in terms of rental, in order to make a fair return on your outlay. If you are buying today, I don''t think you are likely to make much (if any) profit, yet alone be able to rent out at a fair return, especially bearing in mind risk free interest/savings rates are rapidly rising here in the UK.

We came away very disillusioned with the Kalkan property market.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
Pete - interesting comment about Mavi (and not the first one that I have heard) - I had the same experience with them nearly 2 years ago - felt thoroughly ripped off by them..!!  I take the point about the 3% commission on both sides - that is indeed the case - we were lucky because when we eventually did buy - we went direct to the builder - not through an Agent and therefore saved ourselves the commission.  We were only able to do that of course because of our turkish contacts who we trusted implicitly but that is not to say that I advocate using any waiter or taxi driver who says that he is in real estate..!!  I think the currency issue arose because of the traditionally unstable turkish currency and inflation and therefore it seemed better for the UK market to price in sterling...and that hasn''t changed since....even though the turkish lira is more stable - also so much of Kalkan revolves around sterling - we still pay for transfers in sterling - lots of furniture and fittings we paid in sterling etc etc - all very interchangeable.!!

I''m sorry that you came away disillusioned with the property market in Kalkan and there are some silly prices around - but still some bargains to be had but maybe you need to be with turkish people to take advantage of that instead of having to rely on Estate agents - we were lucky I know - those turkish people are still our good friends so it all helps!!  I guess time will tell if we made a good purchase - in the meantime we can enjoy our lovely villa - but 2-3K per week rental - gotta be joking.... :o  but I guess some people are taken in by that!!

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
I think it depends on your reasons for buying.  ???

We are in the process of buying a duplex apartment and are not buying because it is cheap or because we are going to rent it out a high prices.  We haven''t bought because we want to make a fast buck.  We have bought, because we love Turkey, the pace of life and its people and because Kalkan wasn''t all English breakfasts and disco''s.  We hope to holiday there until the children finish school (8 years) and then maybe retire there.

We are buying through Blacklion and have found Bridget to be helpful at all times, although we do not have any experience of many other agents.

Hopfully Kalkan will retain it''s charm and not turn into a Marmaris or Bodrum.  If it does, then thats when it will be time for us to sell - fingers crossed that won''t be any time soon.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 03:31:24 PM »
Turkeyfan like you we too bought because we loved Kalkan.  We ddn''t buy it to make a quick buck and hope to enjoy holidaying there for many years to come.  We also would like to semi retire out there, I would always keep a home at home (if you know what I mean!).  There are a lot of people buying foreign homes just to make money from it and if this is the case I don''t think Kalkan is the place to do so.  I do have friends who bought a small apartment outside Bodrum less than 2 years and within 12 - 14th months had doubled their price, that is a bargain......however I don''t think there will be many around like that for much longer. 

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »
To add to my previous post and that of turkeyfan and Charlie - when I was considering buying in Kalkan - I asked the advice of an estate agent covering all the turkish Mediterranean whether Kalkan was a good place to buy and should I consider buying elsewhere.  Her answer was - if you want a pure investment property then buy in Bodrum (but don''t holiday there!) if you want to enjoy it yourself and have a place to visit yourself then buy in Kalkan - I think that says it all...  We did not buy to make a loss - but on the other hand - we bought in Kalkan coz we love it..! - renting it out and making any sort of profit when we sell - were of a secondary consideration and I wish I didn''t have to rent it out coz I would rather keep it to ourselves - but mortgage rates dictate otherwise.  I can also see me retiring out there...as I have said on a previous thread - I seem to be wishing my life away here to quickly to retirement..  :o

Offline doug46b

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »
I have to agree with Brooksie that we found Kamel at Mavi, professional and his knowledge of the property market bang on.  We consider him and his wife Patricia as good friends  :) :) One week to go!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Selling property in Kalkan

Started by Elee on Buying A Property & Real Estate

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 02:54:11 PM
by Melek65
xx
Selling Property

Started by collsmac on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 04:18:23 PM
by kulube
xx
Selling a car with MA plates

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 11:33:27 AM
by onelove
smiley
Selling some kitchen stuff

Started by BevJam on Classifieds - Available

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 10:57:24 AM
by Harleysuzen

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Gulet

Views: 4252
By: alisonh
EnjoyKalkan meet