Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Importing household goods from the UK - customs implications  (Read 2058 times)

Offline mantha38

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
I am wondering if anyone can advise me? I have recently used Parcelforce Euro 48 to send five boxes of household items to Turkey. I filled in the commercial invoices as requested - the contents of the boxes were towels, bed linen, mugs, glasses, decorative items etc etc. I read with care the prohibited items - ie there were no scissors, cutlery included. The boxes were picked up from the UK no problem and were despatched to Turkey where they I believe are currently languishing in Istanbul. I suspect that I have fallen foul of customs - for what reason I know not. Has anyone had any previous experience of this? And if so what am I likely to have to pay get the good released? Presumably if I pay any relevant charges, the boxes will be sent on their way, or am I being a bit naive about all this? I am coming out to Kalkan at the end of the month and had hoped that all these items which were sent ahead of me would have been delivered by then. Any advice guidance gratefully received.
Sam

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7571.0

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Importing household goods from the UK - customs implications
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »

Doesn't your shipper know why?

You normally have to pay customs duty and customs storeage charges and these storeage charges escalate the longer they are held

You also need residency to import goods into Turkey - do you have this ?

You need to find out from someone pdq

Offline mantha38

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Re: Importing household goods from the UK - customs implications
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
I have discovered that the boxes are at Antalya Customs.

When the boxes were taken there was no indication that I had to have residency or that customs charges would be made. They just took the money and the boxes. Having looked into this a little more I understood that if the value of the items was less than 1500 euros (which it is) then there shouldn't be a problem getting the goods into Turkey.

Where is Antalya customs? And is this normal procedure? I have tried ringing Antalya Customs but the person there spoke no English and did not understand me. I am hoping that I can get a nice Turkish friend to ring on my behalf to find out what the situation is. Stressful to say the least...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Customs Laws

Started by misty on The Everything Else Area!

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 05:10:42 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Customs House - any reviews

Started by sarahm on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 04:57:42 PM
by amber
xx
household items

Started by shasbas on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 08:45:18 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Importing a car

Started by routemaster on Living In Kalkan

10 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 05:44:57 PM
by routemaster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal