Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 5848 times)

Offline magic3

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Istanbul
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Hi,
I note from previous post that Istanbul seems to be the current topic.

We are thinking of flying to Istanbul and then making our way down to Kalkan in April 2011. Does anyone have any friends who have accommodation to rent in Istanbul or can recommend somewhere? We want to see the sights, so need to be central. There will be 5 of us. 2 adults and three children, the smallest of whom could go in a cot. Cheap & cheerful is fine.

Also does anyone have any recommended way of getting from Istanbul to Kalkan. We're quite happy to try road or train or both. It's going to be our little Turkish adventure!!!

Regards
Magic3

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7228.0

Offline clashgour

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:56:10 AM »
Istanbul is a great city with lots to see and do.  There is lots of accommodation in the Sultanahmet district which is where the main sights are located.  Can't help with cheap and cheerful accommodation but there is a lot on offer on the web.

The trains in Turkey don't come anywhere near Kalkan.  The nearest railway station is in Burdur some 250km away.  The main realistic options are travelling by coach or domestic plane.

The coach runs every night from Istanbul direct to Kalkan.  The service operated by Pamukkale leaves at 21.00 and arrives in Kalkan at about 11.00 the next day.  The coach is comfortable and stops every 2 to 3 hours for refreshments.  Kamel Koc run a similar service.  Adult tickets cost about 70 TL not sure about pricing of children's tickets.

There are several flights a day operated by Pegasus from Istanbul to Dalaman.  They are a low-cost airline.  Ticket prices vary but they can be as low as 50 TL.  They have a good website in English.  Of course, you then need to book a transfer taxi from Dalaman to Kalkan.  This will cost about £70 for a party of your size.

Hope that helps.   

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Have a look at booking.com this has a huge range of Istanbul hotels and good prices. Friends have stayed at the hotel below and thought it was great

http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/dara-and-family.html?sid=e4d14b10f64612d1561b75d68639fe47;checkin=2011-02-18;checkout=2011-02-20

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »
booking.com also have some very good deals on apartments in the sultanhammet district of Istanbul.  Some of them have excellent reviews and seem to be a good alternative to hotel rooms.

Offline magic3

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
Thank you to everyone who replied to me. It's all useful stuff.
Shall start putting together a plan!

Thanks again

Magic 3

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Istanbul

Started by happy days on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 12:01:39 PM
by Mags
xx
Istanbul...

Started by pw on Other Resorts

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 10:55:36 AM
by amber
xx
THE BUS TO ISTANBUL

Started by molly on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 05:40:24 AM
by Mercimek
xx
Istanbul and Iso's

Started by headroom on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:31:55 AM
by alantj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal