Whilst an emergency situation is unlikely on holiday it is also important to have the information you need to hand to avoid panic and confusion. Below are some essential numbers and links in the instance of an emergency.
Emergency and Useful Contact Numbers
Coastal Security 158
Forest Fire 177
International Operator 115
Directory Enquiries 118
British Embassy in Turkey: 0312 455 3344 (Ankara)
British Consulate in Fethiye: (0252) 614 6302
WebLink: UK Foreign Office, Turkey
Road Traffic Accidents
From 1 April 2008 it is no longer necessary to call the police to the scene of an accident in the following circumstances:
- When – the accident involves two or more vehicles
- Where there is only material damage to vehicles
- When no one is injured or killed
- Where all concerned parties AGREE to the cause and who is liable for the accident and providing each driver completes the correct form “Tutanak Ornegi” and all parties involved sign each form, including witnesses if any.
If agreement cannot be reached, you should immediately call 155 for Traffic Police assistance and follow the guide below:
- DO NOT MOVE YOUR VEHICLE from the point of impact unless invited to do so by the traffic police or gendarme.
- It is not advisable to accept an offer of financial settlement from the other parties involved. Wait for the police to arrive.
- If you cannot communicate effectively with the police you should insist that your Embassy be contacted. If you can, say “TÜRKÇE BİLMİYORUM LÜTFEN ELÇİLİĞİM İLE KONUŞUN, Tel: 455 3344″, or “ELÇİLİĞİMDEN TÜRKÇE KONUŞAN BİRİ SİZE TELEFON EDECEK”.
- Once the police arrive you will be breathalised and asked to produce your driving license and logbook. A preliminary report of the accident will be compiled by the police at the scene of the accident. Only when this report has been made should you move your vehicle. The police can take several hours to arrive at the scene of an accident. DO NOT MOVE YOUR VEHICLE.
- It is essential to obtain the result of the breathaliser test and the official police report in order to make a successful insurance claim. You will be asked to collect this within three days from the District Police Station.
EnjoyKalkan Car Rental Customers should telephone the 24hr English Speaking Emergency Number on: +90 532 615 01 74 for immediate assistance.
Theft and Robbery
If your money is lost or stolen
You should contact your relatives or friends for help. They will be able to transfer money to you via Western Union. The British Embassy in Ankara, the Consulate General in Istanbul and other British Consulates in Turkey cannot give you money to help with travel, accommodation or pay your bills. Western Union’s information number in Ankara is: +90 312 468 4560
If your passport is lost or stolen abroad
You should report the loss or theft of your UK passport to the local police and get a police report as soon as possible.
You must then inform the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission and apply for a replacement passport. To do this, you need to:
- complete the lost or theft of the passport notification form LS01
- complete the correct passport application form and provide the required documents, including 2 identical passport photographs that meet the required standards
- take both forms, along with the police report, to the local consulate office (in Fethiye)
If your property is broken into
You should contact the Kalkan Jandarme on 0242 844 3005. When contacting the Jandarme be aware they probably will not know the location of your property as many rental properties have names decided by the owners of which there is no control or regulation. Ensure you give precise directions using local landmarks. Be aware your accommodation may have its own information booklet with suggested contacts, eg management agents – It is often advisable to contact these numbers first so they can liase with the Jandarme.